Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for August 30, 2023
This is the 242nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 123 days remaining in 2023.
- It was on this date in 1873, that Austrian explorers Julius von Payer and Karl Weyprecht discovered the archipelago of Franz Josef Land in the Arctic Sea
- Also today in 1909, Burgess Shale fossils were discovered by Charles Doolittle Walcott
- August 30, 1916, Ernest Shackleton completed the rescue of all of his men stranded on Elephant Island in Antarctica
- Also on August 30, 1984, the Space Shuttle Discovery took off on its maiden voyage on mission STS-41-D.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English novelist and playwright, Mary Shelley, born on this date in 1797.
- Dutch chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Jacobus Henricus van ‘t Hoff was born 171 years ago today.
- Carl David Tolmé Runge, German mathematician, physicist, and spectroscopist was born on that same date in 1856.
- Swedish chemist and physicist, Nobel Prize laureate, Theodor Svedberg, born on this date in 1884.
- Austrian mathematician, Olga Taussky-Todd was born 117 years ago today.
- John Mauchly, American physicist and co-founder of the first computer company was born on that same date in 1907.
- American pilot and astronaut, Jack Swigert, born on this date in 1931.
- Also born on that same date in 1956, American actor, producer, and screenwriter,TV’s Frank Conniff.
- 30 – Maximilian Björsten, Stockholm Sweden
- 31 – Tim Downing
- 1 – David Kloempken
- 2 – Scott Tyler
- 5 – Ben Vaughan (benvon) 
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 30, 2023
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Which U.S. states will October’s ‘ring of fire’ solar eclipse be visible from?
- The Cheap Radio Hack That Disrupted Poland’s Railway System
- “Truly Mind-Boggling” Breakthrough: Graphene Surprise Could Help Generate Hydrogen Cheaply and Sustainably
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 8:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Brad Miller|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche||Steve Cody|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Webb||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Asteroid City – Peacock
- Blue Beetle – Theater
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem – Theater
- Katla – Netflix
- Invisible City – Netflix
- The Jerk – Netflix
Question of the week
- What instantly ruins a movie/tv show/book for you?
Patreon Topic this week
- Chuck’s review of Iceland`
- Upcoming DragonCon
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five