Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for September 13, 2023
This is the 256th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 109 days remaining in 2023.
- It was on this date in 509 BC, that The Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus on Rome’s Capitoline Hill was dedicated on the ides of September
- That same date in 1609, Henry Hudson reached the river that would later be named after him – the Hudson River
- It was 209 years ago today, that In a turning point in the War of 1812, the British failed to capture Baltimore. During the battle, Francis Scott Key composed his poem “Defence of Fort McHenry”, which is later set to music and became the United States’ national anthem
- That same date in 1848, Vermont railroad worker Phineas Gage survived an iron rod 1.24 inches (3.2 cm) in diameter being driven through his brain; the reported effects on his behavior and personality stimulate discussion of the nature of the brain and its functions
- It was also this date in 1898 that Hannibal Goodwin patents celluloid photographic film
- Henry Bliss was the first person in the United States to be killed in an automobile accident on this date in 1899
- Also today in 1906, The Santos-Dumont 14 -bis made a short hop, the first flight of a fixed-wing aircraft in Europe
- The IBM 305 RAMAC was introduced, the first commercial computer to use disk storage on this date in 1956
- On September 13, 1977, General Motors introduced Diesel engine, with Oldsmobile Diesel engine, in the Delta 88, Oldsmobile 98, and Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser models amongst others.
- It was 38 years ago today, that Super Mario Bros. was released in Japan for the NES, which started the Super Mario series of platforming games
- That same date in 2001, Civilian aircraft traffic resumed in the United States after the September 11 attacks
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American inventor, engineer and businessman, Oliver Evans, born on this date in 1755.
- Milton S. Hershey, American businessman, founded The Hershey Company was born on that same date in 1857.
- Jesse L. Lasky, the American film producer, co-founded Famous Players-Lasky was born 143 years ago today.
- Austrian-German mathematician and academic, Wilhelm Blaschke, born on this date in 1885.
- Robert Robinson, the English chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born 137 years ago today.
- American singer-songwriter and conductor, Ray Charles, born on this date in 1918.
- Also turning 86 today is American animator, director, and producer, co-founded Sullivan Bluth Studios and Fox Animation Studios, Don Bluth.
- Born September 13, 1939, American actor and voice artist Richard Kiel.
- Also turning 79 today is American singer-songwriter, bass player, and producer Peter Cetera.
- 14 – Andrew Peters (Perl Hacker from the UK)
- 18 – Jeff Schultz (Gorbash)
- 20 – Joel Harper (Rincewind) / Milwaukee WI
- 20 – Joel Rickenbach [deceased] (host of the You’ve Got Geek Podcast)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for September 13, 2023
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- OUR SELF-DRIVING CARS WILL SAVE COUNTLESS LIVES, BUT THEY WILL KILL SOME OF YOU FIRST
- Scientists Discover Natural Molecule That Eradicates Plaques and Cavities
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 8:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Meet the Guy Preserving the New History of PC Games, One Linux Port at a Time
- liam_on_linux | Dell Precision 420 with Red Hat Linux (Personal Computer World • September 2000)
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Brad Miller|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche||Steve Cody|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Webb||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Futurama – Hulu
- Lower Decks – Paramount+
- Podcast – Hidden Brain
- Disenchantment Season 5 – Netflix
- U-571 – Netflix
- Shazzam Fury of the Gods – Southwest Airlines
Question of the week
- What Geek-centric holiday should be nationally recognized?
Patreon Topic this week
- Dragon Con review
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five