Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: Facebook
- Avner Braverman: Subscription renewal. This is why everyone is watching small fires inside empty old CRT sets
On This Day In History for August 2, 2023
This is the 214th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 151 days remaining in 2023.
- It was on this date in 1610, that During Henry Hudson’s search for the Northwest Passage, he sailed into what is now known as Hudson Bay
- On August 2, 1790, The first United States Census was conducted
- August 2, 1870, Tower Subway, the world’s first underground tube railway, opened in London, England, United Kingdom
- Also today in 1873, The Clay Street Hill Railroad began operating the first cable car in San Francisco’s famous cable car system
- It was on this date in 1932, that The positron (antiparticle of the electron) was discovered by Carl D. Anderson
- Albert Einstein and Leo Szilard wrote a letter to Franklin D. Roosevelt, urging him to begin the Manhattan Project to develop a nuclear weapon on this date in 1939
- It was 41 years ago today that The Helsinki Metro, the first rapid transit system of Finland, was opened to the general public.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Swiss paleontologist and scholar, Johann Jakob Scheuchzer, born on this date in 1672.
- Born August 2, 1754, French-American architect and engineer, designed Washington, D.C. Pierre Charles L’Enfant.
- Elisha Gray, American businessman, co-founded Western Electric was born on that same date in 1835.
- Indian chemist and academic, Prafulla Chandra Ray was born 162 years ago today.
- Born August 2, 1892, Canadian-born American production manager and producer, co-founded Warner Bros. Jack L. Warner.
- Also born on that same date in 1902, American mathematician (d.1997), Mina Rees.
- Born August 2, 1924, American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter Carroll O’Connor.
- Ceylon-American engineer and academic, K. Arulanandan, born on this date in 1925.
- British-Irish actor and producer, Peter O’Toole was born 91 years ago today.
- Born August 2, 1934, Russian general and cosmonaut Valery Bykovsky.
- Also born on that same date in 1949, Hungarian general and cosmonaut, Bertalan Farkas.
- Also turning 70 today is American actor Butch Patrick.
- 4 – Clark & Diana (Awesome people and the kids of Gary from Jacksonville)
- 6 – Fritz The German
- 6 – Julie Tomasi
- 8 – Philippa Ballantine
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 2, 2023
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- NASA Is Waiting For A Special Delivery – From Deep Space!
- Rare ‘Trojan’ world may share the same orbit as another planet | CNN
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 8:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- The ‘90s Internet: When 20 hours online triggered an email from my ISP’s president
- A worm has been revived after 46,000 years in the Siberian permafrost
- The buttons on Zenith’s original ‘clicker’ remote were a mechanical marvel
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Brad Miller|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche||Steve Cody|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Webb||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (Paramount+)
- They Cloned Tyrone (Netflix)
- Oppenheimer (Theater)
- Missing: The Lucy Blackman Case (Netflix)
- Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (Netflix)
- Unknown: Cosmic Time Machine (Netflix)
- NASA is launching its own streaming service later this year
- MIT Science Reporter—”Computer for Apollo” (1965) – YouTube
Question of the week
- What is your favorite online Company/Service?
Patreon Topic this week
- Tracking Kim’s luggage
- Simplifying my digital life
- Kreg’s new Arduino kit
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five