Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Mad Marv
re: WD-40. There is a version of WD-40 that is safe for use on
electronics, it’s called WD-40 Specialist Contact Cleaner. I bought
some because the buttons / triggers on my Oculus Quest controllers got
sticky and I took them apart to clean the insides. I had to try two or
three different hardware stores to find this spray.
- Avner: Subscription Renewal. This is why everyone is watching small fires inside empty old CRT sets
- Mad Marv: People never really consider how zombification invalidates life insurance claims.
On This Day In History for July 19, 2023
This is the 200th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 165 days remaining in 2023.
- It was on this date in 1843, that Brunel’s steamship the SS Great Britain was launched, becoming the first ocean-going craft with an iron hull and screw propeller, becoming the largest vessel afloat in the world
- Also today in 1934, The rigid airship USS Macon surprised the USS Houston near Clipperton Island with a mail delivery for President Franklin D. Roosevelt, demonstrating its potential for tracking ships at sea.
- It was also this date in 1952 that saw the opening of the Summer Olympics in Helsinki, Finland.
- Also today in 1963, Joe Walker flew a North American X-15 to a record altitude of 106,010 meters (347,800 feet) on X-15 Flight 90. Exceeding an altitude of 100 km, this flight qualifies as a human spaceflight under international convention
- On July 19, 1977, The world’s first Global Positioning System (GPS) signal was transmitted from Navigation Technology Satellite 2 (NTS-2) and received at Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, at 12:41 a.m. Eastern time (ET).
- July 19, 1983, The first three-dimensional reconstruction of a human head in a CT was published
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American businessman, founded the Colt’s Manufacturing Company, Samuel Colt, born on this date in 1814.
- American astronomer and physicist, Edward Charles Pickering was born 177 years ago today.
- English astronomer, Fiammetta Wilson, born on this date in 1864.
- Charles Horace Mayo, American surgeon, co-founder of the Mayo Clinic was born on that same date in 1865.
- American physicist and inventor of the microwave oven, Percy Spencer was born 129 years ago today.
- Also turning 94 today is Austrian engineer and businessman, co-founded Glock Ges.m.b.H Gaston Glock.
- Indian astrophysicist and astronomer, Jayant Narlikar is 85 today.
- English singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer, and astrophysicist, Brian May, born on this date in 1947.
- Mark Crispin, American computer scientist, designed the IMAP was born on that same date in 1956.
- Also turning 41 today is American actor Jared Padalecki.
- 23 – John Miller Jr. – Lancaster SC
- 23 – Dave Perillo, MegaPodTastic and Montygog’s Art-O-Rama!
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 19, 2023
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Groundbreaking experiment proves light travels through both space and time
- Age of Universe Nearly Twice As Old As Previously Believed – Slashdot
- The sun’s activity is peaking sooner than expected | CNN
- Star-Spangled Spectacle: James Webb Telescope’s Stunning Year of Cosmic Revelations
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 8:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Brad Miller|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche||Steve Cody|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Webb||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Renfield – Peacock
- Missing: Dead or Alive (Netflix)
- The Last Kingdom (Netflix)
- Airport 1975 (Netflix)
- Book: Crisis on Centaurus by Brad Furguson
- Documentary Now! (Netflix)
Question of the week
- What sounds like complete BS but is actually true?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five