Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for May 10, 2023
This is the 130th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 235 days remaining in 2023.
- It was on this date in 28 BC, that a sunspot was observed by Han dynasty astronomers during the reign of Emperor Cheng of Han, one of the earliest dated sunspot observations in China.
- May 10, 1497, Amerigo Vespucci allegedly left Cádiz for his first voyage to the New World.
- It was on this date in 1503, that Christopher Columbus visited the Cayman Islands and named them Las Tortugas after the numerous turtles there.
- Also on May 10, 1869, The First transcontinental railroad, linking the eastern and western United States, was completed at Promontory Summit, Utah Territory with the golden spike.
- The Centennial Exposition was opened in Philadelphia on this date in 1876
- That same date in 1904, The Horch & Cir. Motorwagenwerke AG was founded. It eventually became the Audi company.
- On May 10, 1916, Sailing in the lifeboat James Caird, Ernest Shackleton arrived at South Georgia after a journey of 800 nautical miles from Elephant Island.
- It was on this date in 1946, that saw the first successful launch of an American V-2 rocket at White Sands Proving Ground.
- Marvel Comics published the first issue of The Incredible Hulk on this date in 1962
- It was 48 years ago today, that Sony introduced the Betamax videocassette recorder.
- One World Trade Center became the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere on this date in 2013
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American captain and explorer, Robert Gray, born on this date in 1755.
- Born May 10, 1788, French physicist and engineer Augustin-Jean Fresnel.
- Wilhelm Killing, German mathematician and academic was born on that same date in 1847.
- Fred Astaire, the American actor, singer, and dancer was born 124 years ago today.
- Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin, English-American astronomer and astrophysicist was born on that same date in 1900.
- Irish-English crystallographer and physicist, John Desmond Bernal was born 122 years ago today.
- American physicist and engineer, Nobel Prize laureate, George E. Smith, born on this date in 1930.
- Also turning 63 today is Irish singer-songwriter, musician and activist Bono.
- Also born on that same date in 1969, American author and blogger, John Scalzi.
- 10 – Tim (from Australia)
- 10 – Weber (BTW June 10 – AA was founded 1935)
- 15 – Miss Eliza Sea from Wingin’ It 3D
- 16 – Joe Edmisson
- 16 – Jason from The Angry Geek
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 10, 2023
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 8:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- A Strange 1950s Technology Could Finally Bring Fusion Energy to the Grid
- 10 Chance Meetings That Changed the World
- 1956 commercial shows that refrigerators back then were more advanced than they are today
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Brad Miller|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche||Steve Cody|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Webb||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Metallica: Some Kind of Monster (Netflix)
- American Graffiti (Netflix)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Question of the week:
- Aside from Morgan Freeman, James Earl Jones, and David Attenborough, which living celebrity has the best “narrator voice”?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high fivequa