Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: Which characters and universes would make for the most interesting trading palces?
- Postcard from Jorge
On This Day In History for May 3, 2023
This is the 123rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 242 days remaining in 2023.
- It was on this date in 1715, that A total solar eclipse was visible across northern Europe and northern Asia, as predicted by Edmond Halley to within four minutes accuracy
- On May 3, 1837, The University of Athens was founded in Athens, Greece.
- 71 years ago today, The Kentucky Derby was televised nationally for the first time, on the CBS network
- Also today in 1952, Lieutenant Colonels Joseph O. Fletcher and William P. Benedict of the United States landed a plane at the North Pole
- That same date in 1978, The first unsolicited bulk commercial email (which would later become known as “spam”) was sent by a Digital Equipment Corporation marketing representative to every ARPANET address on the west coast of the United States
- May 3, 2000, The sport of geocaching began, with the first cache placed and the coordinates from a GPS posted on Usenet
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Italian historian and philosopher, Niccolò Machiavelli, born on this date in 1469.
- Born May 3, 1695, French physicist and engineer, invented the Pitot tube Henri Pitot.
- Italian mathematician and physicist, Vito Volterra, born on this date in 1860.
- Born May 3, 1879, Australian businessman and soldier, co-founded Qantas, Fergus McMaster.
- George Paget Thomson, the English physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born 131 years ago today.
- Bing Crosby, American singer and actor was born on that same date in 1903.
- German-Danish mathematician and academic, Werner Fenchel, born on this date in 1905.
- James Brown, the American singer-songwriter, producer, and actor was born 90 years ago today.
- American singer and actor, Frankie Valli is 89 today.
- Born May 3, 1935, American businessman, founded the Ronco Company Ron Popeil.
- 3 – Keao Wright
- 3 – Leon
- 5 – Joe Mieczkowski host of Onthepodcast
- 6 – Amber Pace (not really a listener, but a mother and a wife of listeners)
- 6 – Bill Barbour
- 6 – Steve Bickle
- 6 – Brian Brown
- 8 – Curtis Parish
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 3, 2023
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- James Webb Space Telescope spots huge galactic protocluster in the early universe (photo)
- NASA is keeping Voyager 2 going until at least 2026 by tapping into backup power
- ‘Mom, these bad men have me’: She believes scammers cloned her daughter’s voice in a fake kidnapping
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 8:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Brad Miller|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche||Steve Cody|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Webb||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Get On Up (Netflix)
- Rise of Empires: Ottoman: Mehmed vs. Vlad (Netflix)
- National Lampoon’s Animal House (Netflix)
Question of the week:
- What movie blew your mind when you saw it?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five