Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for April 12, 2023
This is the 102nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 263 days remaining in 2023.
- It was on this date in 1928, that The Bremen, a German Junkers W 33 type aircraft, took off for the first successful transatlantic aeroplane flight from east to west
- Also on April 12, 1937, Sir Frank Whittle ground-tested the first jet engine designed to power an aircraft, at Rugby, England
- That same date in 1955, The polio vaccine, developed by Dr. Jonas Salk, was declared safe and effective
- Also on April 12, 1961, The Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin became the first human to travel into outer space and perform the first crewed orbital flight, Vostok 1
- On April 12, 1980, Canadian runner and athlete, Terry Fox began his Marathon of Hope Run in St. John’s, NF
- It was on this date in 1981, that The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) took place: The STS-1 mission
- Jim Gary’s “Twentieth Century Dinosaurs” exhibition opened at the Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C. He is the only sculptor ever invited to present a solo exhibition there on this date in 1990
- It was also this date in 1992 that The Euro Disney Resort officially opened with its theme park Euro Disneyland; the resort and its park’s name are subsequently changed to Disneyland Paris
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English naturalist and physician, Martin Lister, born on this date in 1639.
- Belgian mathematician and engineer, Germinal Pierre Dandelin was born 229 years ago today.
- Born April 12, 1852, German mathematician and academic Ferdinand von Lindemann.
- Imogen Cunningham, the American photographer and educator was born 140 years ago today.
- German physician and biochemist, Nobel Prize laureate, Otto Meyerhof was born 139 years ago today.
- Evelyn Berezin, the American computer scientist and engineer was born 98 years ago today.
- Ukrainian-Russian colonel, pilot, and astronaut, Igor Volk was born 86 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1940, American pianist, composer, and bandleader, Herbie Hancock.
- American historian and author, Tom Clancy was born 76 years ago today.
- American comedian and talk show host, David Letterman is 76 today.
- 14 – Danny Harnish
- 16 – Donna Tomasi
- 18 – Skaifey (Anthony)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 12, 2023
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Stunning’: James Webb telescope provides new view of Uranus
- This Mars Map Nearly Exploded My Computer
- Scientists Film Deepest Ever Fish on Seabed Off Japan
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 8:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Brad Miller|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche||Steve Cody|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Webb||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Operation Finale (Netflix)
- Code 8 (Netflix)
- Smokey and the Bandit (Netflix)
- Red Dragon (Netflix)
- The Chosen – Seasons 1 and 2 (Amazon Prime)
Question of the week
- If you could have any sci-fi vehicle, what would it be and why?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five