Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for April 19, 2023
This is the 109th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 256 days remaining in 2023.
- It was on this date in 1770, that Captain James Cook, still holding the rank of lieutenant, sighted the eastern coast of what is now Australia.
- It was also this date in 1818 that French physicist Augustin Fresnel signed his preliminary “Note on the Theory of Diffraction” (deposited on the following day). The document ended with what we now call the Fresnel integrals
- April 19, 1943, Albert Hofmann deliberately dosed himself with LSD for the first time, three days after having discovered its effects on April 16
- It was 52 years ago today that Salyut 1, the first space station, was launched.
- April 19, 1975, India’s first satellite Aryabhata was launched into orbit from Kapustin Yar, Russia
- Also today in 1987, The Simpsons first appeared as a series of shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show, first starting with “Good Night”
- It was also this date in 1993 that The 51 -day FBI siege of the Branch Davidian building in Waco, Texas, USA, ended when a fire broke out. Seventy-six Davidians, including eighteen children under the age of ten, died in the fire
- On April 19, 1995, the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, USA, was bombed, killing 168 people including 19 children under the age of six
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Norwegian-American engineer, invented the outboard motor, Ole Evinrude, born on this date in 1877.
- Richard von Mises, the Austrian-American mathematician and physicist was born 140 years ago today.
- American law enforcement agent, Eliot Ness, born on this date in 1903.
- Born April 19, 1912, American chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate Glenn T. Seaborg.
- Jayne Mansfield, the American model and actress was born 90 years ago today.
- Also turning 59 today is American astrophysicist, astronomer, and academic Kim Weaver.
- Also born on that same date in 1981, Canadian actor, Hayden Christensen.
- American comedian and actress, Ali Wong is 41 today.
Listener Birthdays & other
- 19 – Amanda (SusietheGeek’s daughter & Geek in Training)
- 21 – Kim and Kreg’s Anniversary
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 19, 2023
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- This Square-Wheeled Bicycle Works Like a Pedal-Powered Tank
- Surprising things happen when you put 25 AI agents together in an RPG town
- How This Museum is Building a 20-Foot-Tall Donkey Kong Arcade Cabinet
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 8:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Brad Miller|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche||Steve Cody|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Webb||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg – Tech Moan – YouTube
- Kreg – Game Night – Amazon Prime
- Chuck – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisle (Amazon Prime)
- Chuck – American Manhunt: The Boston Marathon Bombing (Netflix)
- Chuck – Marnie (Netflix)
- Chuck – The Last Kingdom – season 1 (Netflix)
Question of the week:
- If you wrote a computer virus what would you call it and what would it do that is NOT nefarious?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five