Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: Which TV series has aged like milk?
- K-Y-L-E (Mad Marv) sent three audio clips – guess the celeb.
On This Day In History for October 12, 2022
This is the 285th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 80 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 1492, that Christopher Columbus’s first expedition made landfall in the Caribbean, specifically on San Salvador Island. (Julian calendar)
- It was 212 years ago today that the citizens of Munich held the first Oktoberfest in celebration of the marriage of Crown Prince Louis of Bavaria and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen.
- On October 12, 1901, President Theodore Roosevelt officially renamed the “Executive Mansion” to the White House
- It was on this date in 1928, that An iron lung respirator was used for the first time at Boston Children’s Hospital
- October 12, 1933, the military Alcatraz Citadel became the civilian Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary
- It was on this date in 1964, that The Soviet Union launched the Voskhod 1 into Earth orbit as the first spacecraft with a multi-person crew, and the first flight without pressure suits
- It was also this date in 1994 that The Magellan spacecraft burned up in the atmosphere of Venus
- On October 12, 2005, The second Chinese human spaceflight, Shenzhou 6, was launched, carrying two cosmonauts in orbit for five days
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American engineer and businessman, co-invented the gyrocompass, Elmer Ambrose Sperry, born on this date in 1860.
- Born October 12, 1868, German engineer and businessman, founded Audi August Horch.
- Art Clokey, the American animator, producer, screenwriter, and voice actor, created Gumby was born 101 years ago today.
- Norwegian computer scientist and academic, co-developed Simula, Ole-Johan Dahl, born on this date in 1931.
- Also turning 88 today is American architect, designed the Getty Center and City Tower Richard Meier.
- Russian mathematician and academic, Albert Shiryaev is 88 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1952, English mathematician and theorist, Roger Heath-Brown.
- Also turning 54 today is Australian actor, singer, and producer Hugh Jackman.
- 13 – Jason Schwanz
- 18 – Megan Enloe
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 12, 2022
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Nobel Prize for physics goes to Alain Aspect, John F. Clauser and Anton Zeilinger for achievements in quantum mechanics | CNN
- Can AI’s Recommendations Be Less Insidious? – IEEE Spectrum
- Why Is NASA Sending Snoopy to the Moon? – Review Geek
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Matt Baum|
|Mike Wills||Paul Maki||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck – Mr. Harrigan’s Phone (Netflix)
- Chuck – Last Seen Alive (Netflix)
Question of the week:
- What older classic horror movie would you recommend?
Patreon Topic this week
- Chuck’s 40th class reunion
- Chuck and Donna’s 34th anniversary
- And the boys cook up some stuff
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five