Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What villain was terrifying because they were right?
- Update to Chuck’s mystery email
On This Day In History for September 28, 2022
This is the 271st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 94 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 1066, that William the Conqueror landed in England, beginning the Norman conquest
- September 28, 1542, Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo of Portugal arrived at what is now San Diego, California. He is the first European in California.
- It was also this date in 1889 that The General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) defined the length of a metre
- 110 years ago today, Corporal Frank S. Scott of the United States Army became the first enlisted man to die in an airplane crash
- It was also this date in 1924 that The first aerial circumnavigation was completed by a team from the US Army
- It was 94 years ago today, that Alexander Fleming noticed a bacteria-killing mold growing in his laboratory, discovering what later became known as penicillin
- Also on September 28, 1951, CBS made the first color televisions available for sale to the general public, but the product was discontinued less than a month later
- Falcon 1 became the first privately developed liquid-fuel ground-launched vehicle to put a payload into orbit by the RatSat mission. on this date in 2008
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Chinese teacher, editor, politician, and philosopher of the Spring and Autumn period of Chinese history. (d. 479 BC), Confucius, born on this date in -551.
- French astronomer and mathematician, Ismaël Bullialdus was born 417 years ago today.
- Prosper Mérimée, the French archaeologist, historian, and author was born 219 years ago today.
- Henri Moissan, French chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1852.
- British astronomer and meteorologist, Isis Pogson was born 170 years ago today.
- Paul Ulrich Villard, the French chemist and physicist was born 162 years ago today.
- Hilda Geiringer, Austrian mathematician was born on that same date in 1893.
- American television host, Ed Sullivan, born on this date in 1901.
- American broadcaster, founded CBS, William S. Paley was born 121 years ago today.
- American spy, Ethel Rosenberg, born on this date in 1915.
- Martin David Kruskal, American physicist and mathematician was born on that same date in 1925.
- Seymour Cray, the American computer scientist, founded the CRAY Computer Company was born 97 years ago today.
- American singer-songwriter and producer, Ben E. King was born 84 years ago today.
- American mathematician and academic, Rhonda Hughes, born on this date in 1947.
- Also turning 66 today is Colombian-Italian mathematician and author Martha Isabel Fandiño Pinilla.
- 1 – 10/1 = 101 & Stephen Wesche (From Saint Louis Missouri) (Pronounced Like the first part of the word “Wet” and the word “She”)
- 2 – Adam Rumpke
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for September 28, 2022
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Cats Give the Laws of Physics a Biiiiig Stretch
- Music on the brain: Listening can influence our brain’s activity
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- The Most Important Device In The Universe Is Powered By A 555 Timer
- Are You Ready for the Internet? (1994)
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Krazy Joe Adventures|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Matt Baum|
|Mike Wills||Paul Maki||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin||Tim Cook|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Travelin’ Band – Creedence Clearwater Revival at the Royal Albert Hall (Netflix)
- Chuck: A sinister sect – Colonia Dignidad (Netflix)
- Kreg: The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
Question of the week:
- In 50 years, what will people be nostalgic for?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five