Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: Which 25+ year old video game has aged the best?
On This Day In History for July 20, 2022
This is the 201st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 164 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 1738, that Canadian explorer Pierre Gaultier de Varennes et de La Vérendrye reached the western shore of Lake Michigan
- It was also this date in 1900 that An airship designed and constructed by Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin of Germany made its first flight near Friedrichshafen.
- On July 20, 1807, Nicéphore Niépce was awarded a patent by Napoleon for the Pyréolophore, the world’s first internal combustion engine, after it successfully powered a boat upstream on the river Saône in France
- Also on July 20, 1903, The Ford Motor Company shipped its first automobile
- It was on this date in 1940, that California opened its first freeway, the Arroyo Seco Parkway
- It was 62 years ago today, that The Polaris missile was successfully launched from a submarine, the USS George Washington, for the first time
- July 20, 1969, Apollo 11’s crew successfully made the first manned landing on the Moon in the Sea of Tranquility. Americans Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon six and a half hours later
- It was also this date in 1976 that The American Viking 1 lander successfully landed on Mars.
- Also today in 1997, The fully restored USS Constitution (a.k.a. Old Ironsides) celebrated its 200th birthday by setting sail for the first time in 116 years
- 1 year ago today, American businessman Jeff Bezos flew to space aboard New Shepard NS-16 operated by his Private spaceflight company Blue Origin.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English biologist, anatomist, and paleontologist, Richard Owen, born on this date in 1804.
- Gregor Mendel, the Austro-German monk, geneticist and botanist was born 200 years ago today.
- English explorer, Clements Markham, born on this date in 1830.
- German mathematician and academic, Otto Blumenthal was born 146 years ago today.
- Born July 20, 1882, Austrian mathematician and philosopher Olga Hahn-Neurath.
- 1st Baron Reith, Scottish broadcaster, co-founded BBC, John Reith, born on this date in 1889.
- Tadeusz Reichstein, Polish-Swiss chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1897.
- Born July 20, 1919, New Zealand mountaineer and explorer Edmund Hillary.
- American businessman, co-founded Little Caesars, Mike Ilitch was born 93 years ago today.
- American singer-songwriter, Kim Carnes, born on this date in 1945.
- Also turning 75 today is Mexican-American singer-songwriter and guitarist Carlos Santana.
- Mexican-American screenwriter and producer, Roberto Orci is 49 today.
- 23 – John Miller Jr. – Lancaster SC
- 23 – Dave Perillo, MegaPodTastic and Montygog’s Art-O-Rama!
- 26 – Aaron Heath (Adelaide, Australia)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 20, 2022
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Aptera EV has 100 Mile Range
- Amazon Drones will soon make deliveries in Texas
- Thieves Stole an Ancient Copper Relic Said to Contain the Blood of Jesus
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Looking back at the USSR Computer Industry
- Before our homes got smart: 7 vintage home gadgets that hark back to a bygone era
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Martinez||Chris Mc|
|DanDMan Coyer||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen||Kyle Nishioka|
|Leon||Matt Baum||Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media|
|Stephen Wesche||Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
|Tim Cook||Krazy Joe Adventures|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg – Everything Everywhere All At Once – Digital Rental
- Chuck/Kreg – Thor: Love and Thunder
Question of the week:
- What is the saddest on screen death of all time?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five