Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What 100% FACT is the hardest to believe?
On This Day in History for May 18, 2022
This is the 138th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 227 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 1499, that Alonso de Ojeda set sail from Cádiz on his voyage to what is now Venezuela
- It was also this date in 1953 that Jackie Cochran became the first woman to break the sound barrier
- Apollo program: Apollo 10 was launched on this date in 1969
- On May 18, 1974, Under project Smiling Buddha, India successfully detonated its first nuclear weapon becoming the sixth nation to do so
- Also on May 18, 1980, Mount St. Helens erupted in Washington, United States, killing 57 people and causing $3 billion in damage
- 17 years ago today, A second photo from the Hubble Space Telescope confirmed that Pluto has two additional moons, Nix and Hydra
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Persian mathematician, astronomer, and poet, Omar Khayyám, born on this date in 1048.
- Born May 18, 1711, Ragusan physicist, astronomer, and mathematician Roger Joseph Boscovich.
- English engineer, mathematician, and physicist, Oliver Heaviside, born on this date in 1850.
- Thomas Midgley, Jr., American chemist and engineer was born on that same date in 1889.
- American biochemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Vincent du Vigneaud, born on this date in 1901.
- Born May 18, 1912, American singer and television host Perry Como.
- Don Martin, American cartoonist was born on that same date in 1931.
- Also born on that same date in 1941, Scottish astronomer, physicist, and academic, Malcolm Longair.
- Also turning 52 today is American actress, producer, and screenwriter Tina Fey.
- Also born on that same date in 1979, Swedish video game designer, co-designed Minecraft, Jens Bergensten.
- 22 – Tim Elliott
- 23 – Kris Ziel Host and producer of The AVScast and 24 Under Review
- 26 – Eli Yukelzon
- 27 – Tonya from Dancing With Elephants
- 28 – Chris Martens, Host of The Jesus Geeks, Z Net Central, and Producer of On The Edge Of Darkness
- 30 – Petri Lopia
- 31 – Troy Dunlavy
- 1 – Selganor
- 2 – Anthony Gartner (Enigmavb)
- 4 – Leo Schrauwen – history and pictures from Ekeren (Antwerp, Belgium) in Dutch
- 4 – Tara Parkman (daughter of Richard Parkman)
- 6 – Adam Larson (UncleAdam)
- 6 – Grandma Grace (1921)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 18, 2022
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- How Often Do Ads Share Your Data Every Day? Hundreds of Times (gizmodo.com)
- Total lunar eclipse view from Florida (wesh.com)
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Why Goodyear’s Illuminated Tires Were Way Ahead of Their Time (thedrive.com)
- Reviving A 1974 Sinclair Scientific Calculator | Hackaday
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Tim Cook||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Matt Baum|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg: Star Trek – Strange New Worlds | Paramount+
- Kreg: Kitboga – YouTube
- Hamateur: 1946 | Shorpy Old Photos | Photo Sharing (Photo)
- Ham Dad: 1960 | Shorpy Old Photos | Photo Sharing (Photo)
Question of the week:
- What’s a movie trope you are sick and tired of?
Patreon Topic this week
- My Micro SD card died on my phone – Chuck
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five