Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for May 11, 2022
This is the 131st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 234 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 868, that A copy of the Diamond Sutra was printed in China, making it the oldest known dated printed book.
- Also today in 1502, Christopher Columbus left on his fourth and last voyage (till Nov.7,1504).
- Also on May 11, 1997, Deep Blue, a chess-playing supercomputer, defeated Garry Kasparov in the last game of the rematch, becoming the first computer to beat a world-champion chess player in a classic match format.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German physician, physiologist, and anthropologist, Johann Friedrich Blumenbach, born on this date in 1752.
- Born May 11, 1871, American astronomer and author Frank Schlesinger.
- Hungarian-American mathematician, physicist, and engineer, Theodore von Kármán was born 141 years ago today.
- Irving Berlin, Belarusian-American pianist and composer was born on that same date in 1888.
- Born May 11, 1918, American physicist and engineer, Nobel Prize laureate Richard Feynman.
- Antony Hewish, the English astronomer and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born 98 years ago today.
- American explorer, author, and scholar, Gene Savoy was born 95 years ago today.
- Born May 11, 1930, Dutch computer scientist and academic Edsger W. Dijkstra.
- 12 – Amanda Huggenkiss
- 14 – JPCJ
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 11, 2022
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Rocket Lab catches falling rocket with a helicopter — then drops it in the ocean – The Verge
- George Pérez, Legendary DC and Marvel Comic Book Artist, Dies at 67 – IGN
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Star Trek Pilot ‘The Cage’ Gets a Hologram Recreation (gizmodo.com)
- A (Nearly All) New Commodore 64 | Hackaday
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Tim Cook||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Matt Baum|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Outer Range (Amazon)
- Chuck: Meltdown: Three Mile Island (Netflix)
- Chuck: The Mystery of Marilyn Monroe (Netflix)
- Chuck: Memories of a Murderer: The Nilsen Tapes (Netflix)
- Chuck: Perfect Bid (Netflix)
Question of the week:
- What 100% FACT is the hardest to believe?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five