Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What’s the most ridiculous thing you saw a computer illiterate person do with a computer?
On This Day In History for May 4, 2022
This is the 124th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 241 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 1493, that Pope Alexander VI divided the New World between Spain and Portugal along the Line of Demarcation
- That same date in 1626, Dutch explorer Peter Minuit arrived in New Netherland (present day Manhattan Island) aboard the See Meeuw
- Also on May 4, 1904, The United States began construction of the Panama Canal
- Also today in 1953, Ernest Hemingway won the Pulitzer Prize for The Old Man and the Sea
- Also on May 4, 1972, The Don’t Make A Wave Committee, a fledgling environmental organization founded in Canada in 1971, officially changed its name to “Greenpeace Foundation”
- The 108 -story Sears Tower in Chicago was topped out at 1,451 feet as the world’s tallest building on this date in 1973
- It was also this date in 1998 that A federal judge in Sacramento, California, gave “Unabomber” Theodore Kaczynski four life sentences plus 30 years after Kaczynski accepts a plea agreement sparing him from the death penalty
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Italian instrument maker, inventor of the piano, Bartolomeo Cristofori, born on this date in 1655.
- Jean-Charles de Borda, the French mathematician, physicist, and sailor was born 289 years ago today.
- Maynard Ferguson, Canadian trumpet player and bandleader was born on that same date in 1928.
- Also born on that same date in 1953, American actress and singer, Pia Zadora.
- Also turning 66 today is American astronaut and engineer Michael L. Gernhardt.
- 5 – Joe Mieczkowski host of Onthepodcast
- 6 – Amber Pace (not really a listener, but a mother and a wife of listeners)
- 6 – Bill Barbour
- 6 – Steve Bickle
- 6 – Brian Brown
- 8 – Curtis Parish
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 4, 2022
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- First private mission to the ISS splashes down off Florida coast – The Verge
- SpaceX launches another historic astronaut mission – CNN
- Drones are setting down roots in wildfire-scarred landscapes – The Verge
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Tim Cook||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil||Matt Baum|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Upstairs/Downstairs (Hulu)
- Chuck: Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes (Netflix)
- Chuck: Conversations with a Killer: The John Wayne Gacy Tapes (Netflix)
- Kreg: Ozark (Netflix)
- Kreg: Batman ’89 (HBOmax)
Question of the week:
- What kind of music do you listen to when you code or work?
Patreon Topic this week
- Let’s start by talking about Google searches and Opinions
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five