Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: If the internet existed in the 1920s, what kind of questions would people Google?
On This Day In History for January 26, 2022
This is the 26th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 339 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 1788, that The British First Fleet, led by Arthur Phillip, sailed into Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour) to establish Sydney, the first permanent European settlement on Australia. Commemorated as Australia Day.
- 96 years ago today, the first demonstration of the television by John Logie Baird.
- January 26, 1949, the Hale telescope at Palomar Observatory saw first light under the direction of Edwin Hubble, becoming the largest aperture optical telescope (until BTA-6 was built in 1976).
- Also today in 1962, Ranger 3 was launched to study the Moon. The space probe later misses the moon by 22,000 miles (35,400 km).
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American general, Medal of Honor recipient, Douglas MacArthur, born on this date in 1880.
- Polykarp Kusch, German-American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1911.
- Born January 26, 1921, Japanese businessman, co-founded Sony, Akio Morita.
- American journalist and film critic, Gene Siskel, born on this date in 1946.
- American mathematician Susan Friedlander is 76 today.
- Eddie Van Halen, Dutch-American guitarist, songwriter, and producer was born on that same date in 1955.
- American comedian, actress, and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres is 64 today.
- Also turning 59 today is English singer-songwriter and guitarist Andrew Ridgeley.
- Also born on that same date in 1967, English businessman, co-founded Internet Movie Database, Col Needham.
- 26 – Will The Computer Guy
- 27 – Mark in Memphis
- 27 – Chip Burkhead from The Scotchcast
- 29 – Sarah P. from NJ… who was born in OK, moved to VA, married Brad P, moved to NJ, and is now back in VA
- 1 – Matt Baum aka Racer X, Pittsburgh PA
- 1 – Brandon Kirkwold, MN
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 26, 2022
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Elon Musk’s Starlink Is Causing More Streaks to Appear in Space Images
- NASA Spacecraft Detects FM Radio Signal Coming From Jupiter’s Largest Moon (curiosmos.com)
- A 555.55-carat black diamond believed to come from space is going on sale – CNN Style
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Archive81 (Netflix)
- Chuck: The Expanse – final season (Amazon Prime)
- Chuck: Oats Studio (Netflix)
- Kreg: The Tender Bar (Amazon Prime)
- Kreg: The Electrical Life of Louis Wain (Amazon Prime)
- Kreg: Harry Potter 20th Anniversary Special: A Return to Hogwarts (HBOMax)
Question of the week
- What’s a very old game that’s 100% worth it to play now?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five