Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Email from John
Greetings Chuck Tomasi, brother of Rollo, and Kreg from the house of Steppe. I hope this communique finds you both well.
We are surviving the Snowpocalypse of 2022 in the southernmost state of Carolina. Our town has shut down due to several hundred ice cubes on the roads. I have called for local assistance,but I suspect that the Saint Bernard with the first aid kit full of warming spirits will not arrive by the time you read this.
One bit of good news: I was able to negotiate a wonderful deal at a local hamburger establishment. I ordered two hamburgers at double their advertised price, but was able to convince the restaurant to give me a 50% discount! What do you think, huh?
Take care, be well, and positive vibes to all of you and your respective clans.
- QOTW: Which TV show started out promising, but turned out to be garbage?
On This Day In History for January 19, 2022
This is the 19th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 346 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 1883, that the first electric lighting system employing overhead wires, built by Thomas Edison, began service at Roselle, New Jersey.
- Georges Claude patented the neon discharge tube for use in advertising on this date in 1915
- January 19, 1937, Howard Hughes set a new air record by flying from Los Angeles to New York City in seven hours, 28 minutes, 25 seconds
- Almost 72 percent of all television sets in the United States were tuned into I Love Lucy to watch Lucy give birth on this date in 1953.
- It was also this date in 1978 that the last Volkswagen Beetle made in Germany left VW’s plant in Emden. Beetle production in Latin America continues until 2003
- That same date in 1983, The Apple Lisa, the first commercial personal computer from Apple Inc. to have a graphical user interface and a computer mouse, was announced
- January 19, 1986, the first IBM PC computer virus was released into the wild. A boot sector virus dubbed (c)Brain, it was created by the Farooq Alvi Brothers in Lahore, Pakistan, reportedly to deter unauthorized copying of the software they had written
- That same date in 1999, British Aerospace agreed to acquire the defence subsidiary of the General Electric Company plc, forming BAE Systems in November 1999
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Scottish-English chemist and engineer, James Watt, born on this date in 1736.
- Edgar Allan Poe, American short story writer, poet, and critic was born on that same date in 1809.
- Born January 19, 1813, English engineer and businessman Henry Bessemer.
- French painter, Paul Cézanne was born 183 years ago today.
- Born January 19, 1851, Dutch astronomer and academic Jacobus Kapteyn.
- Jean Stapleton, the American actress and singer was born 99 years ago today.
- American priest, astronomer, and theologian, George Coyne was born 89 years ago today.
- John Lions, Australian computer scientist and academic was born on that same date in 1937.
- Janis Joplin, the American singer-songwriter was born 79 years ago today.
- American singer-songwriter and actress, Dolly Parton, born on this date in 1946.
- English singer-songwriter and guitarist, Robert Palmer was born 73 years ago today.
- American actor and singer, Desi Arnaz, Jr. is 69 today.
- Also turning 68 today is American actress and singer Katey Sagal.
- Also born on that same date in 1959, American computer scientist and programmer, Danese Cooper.
- 21 – Michael Rabalais
- 22 – TAW012294
- 23 – Kathie Luke, IL
- 23 – Chris Moody from PodioMedia Chat
- 23 – Keith Lane from TGGeeks
- 24 – Cynthia Fry
- 25 – Kreg Steppe
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 19, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Huge nursery for icefish discovered beneath Weddell Sea in Antarctica | Live Science
- Astrophysicists Release the Biggest Map of the Universe Yet | WIRED
- Heart transplant milestone: Human receives heart from gene-edited pig
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Sixty Years Ago, NASA Scientists Found That Women Would Be Better Astronauts. Their Work Was Never Published. | RealClearScience
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg: The Eternals – Marvel (Disney+)
- Kreg: Jeff Epstien: Filthy Rich (Netflix)
- Chuck: Roman Empire – Season 3 (Netflix)
- Star Wars Cantina on Guitars
- Dev With Unrelated Five-Year-Old Wordle App Is Donating Proceeds To Charity – GameSpot
Question of the week
- If the internet existed in the 1920s, what kind of questions would people Google?
Patreon Topic this week
- Support through community
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five