Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What was your highlight of 2021?
- Shout out to John Miller Jr. He leveled up and completed College! He Earned Masters of Information Systems Degree. Earned Cyber Security certificate.
On This Day In History for January 12, 2022
This is the 12th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 353 days remaining in 2022.
- It was on this date in 1866, that The Royal Aeronautical Society was formed in London
- January 12, 1932, Hattie Caraway became the first woman elected to the United States Senate.
- It was on this date in 1967, that Dr. James Bedford became the first person to be cryonically preserved with intent of future resuscitation
- 36 years ago today, Congressman Bill Nelson lifted off from Kennedy Space Center aboard Columbia on Space Shuttle mission STS-61 -C as a payload specialist
- It was on this date in 1997, Space Shuttle Atlantis launched from the Kennedy Space Center on mission STS-81 to the Russian space station Mir, carrying astronaut Jerry M. Linenger for a four-month stay on board the station, replacing astronaut John E. Blaha.
- Nineteen European nations agreed to forbid human cloning on this date in 1998
- January 12, 2001, Downtown Disney opened to the public as part of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California
- On January 12, 2004, The world’s largest ocean liner, RMS Queen Mary 2, made its maiden voyage
- It was 17 years ago today, that Deep Impact launched from Cape Canaveral on a Delta II rocket.
- January 12, 2007, Comet C/2006 P1 (McNaught), the largest comet ever measured, was at its zenith, visible during the day
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Flemish chemist and physician, Jan Baptist van Helmont, born on this date in 1577.
- Johan August Arfwedson, Swedish chemist and academic was born on that same date in 1792.
- Born January 12, 1822, Belgian engineer, designed the internal combustion engine Étienne Lenoir.
- Italian mathematician, Gregorio Ricci-Curbastro, born on this date in 1853.
- American novelist and journalist, Jack London was born 146 years ago today.
- Born January 12, 1892, Russian engineer and businessman, co-founded the Russian Aircraft Corporation Mikhail Gurevich.
- Paul Hermann Müller, the Swiss chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born 123 years ago today.
- Igor Kurchatov, Russian physicist and academic was born on that same date in 1903.
- Born January 12, 1905, American archeologist and academic James Bennett Griffin.
- Sergei Korolev, Russian colonel and engineer was born on that same date in 1907.
- Born January 12, 1916, American chemist and inventor Ruth R. Benerito.
- Rush Limbaugh, the American talk show host and author was born 71 years ago today.
- Also turning 71 today is American actress and producer Kirstie Alley.
- American radio host, actor, and author, Howard Stern, born on this date in 1954.
- Also turning 65 today is American animator, director, and producer John Lasseter.
- Also born on that same date in 1964, American computer scientist and businessman, founded Amazon.com, Jeff Bezos.
- American singer-songwriter, producer, actor, and director, Rob Zombie is 57 today.
- 3 – Thomas Gideon (The Command Line Podcast)
- 6 – Steve Therrien (Canada)
- 8 – Elvis!
- 9 – Lingo from the Brit & Yankee pubcast
- 14 – Glynne Tolar
- 15 – Ralph Whitfield (aka GoofyRalph)
- 17 – fuffy_frog (aka Kristina) originally from Canada but now from Thailand
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 12, 2022
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- InWith promises world’s first soft smart contact lens – CNET
- China’s Yutu 2 Finally Uncovers the Reality Behind the ‘Mystery Hut’ on the Moon (interestingengineering.com)
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Watch now: Heavy metal guitarist brings back tokens, Space Invaders, Death Race and expands Madison area arcade scene | Local News | madison.com
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: 1883 – Paramount+
- Chuck: John and Yoko: Above us only sky (Netflix)
- Chuck: Monty Python’s Almost the Truth (Netflix)
- Chuck: WWII in Color: Road to Victory (Netflix)
- Chuck: Death to 2021 (Netflix)
- Chuck: Mercury 13 (Netflix)
- Kreg: Cobra Kai Season 4 (Netflix)
- The Physics of Wile E. Coyote’s 10 Billion-Volt Electromagnet | WIRED
- After ALS struck, he became the world’s most advanced cyborg (inputmag.com)
Question of the week
- Which TV show started out promising, but turned out to be garbage?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five