Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for December 1, 2021
This is the 335th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 30 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1862, that In his State of the Union Address President Abraham Lincoln reaffirmed the necessity of ending slavery as ordered ten weeks earlier in the Emancipation Proclamation
- 108 years ago today, The Buenos Aires Metro, the first underground railway system in the Southern Hemisphere and in Latin America, began operation.
- Also on December 1, 1952, The New York Daily News reported the news of Christine Jorgensen, the first notable case of sex reassignment surgery
- It was also this date in 1984 that NASA conducted the Controlled Impact Demonstration, wherein an airliner is deliberately crashed in order to test technologies and gather data to help improve survivability of crashes
- On December 1, 1988, World AIDS Day was proclaimed worldwide by the UN member states.
- That same date in 1990, Channel Tunnel sections started from the United Kingdom and France met beneath the seabed.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Czech physician and astronomer, Tadeáš Hájek, born on this date in 1525.
- French astronomer and historian, Nicolas-Claude Fabri de Peiresc was born 441 years ago today.
- French-English sculptor, founded Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, Marie Tussaud, born on this date in 1761.
- Mary Martin, American actress and singer was born on that same date in 1913.
- American singer-songwriter, producer, and actor, Lou Rawls, born on this date in 1933.
- Also turning 86 today is American actor, director, and screenwriter Woody Allen.
- American comedian, actor, producer, and screenwriter, Richard Pryor was born 81 years ago today.
- Born December 1, 1940, American electronic engineer and inventor Jerry Lawson.
- American singer-songwriter, actress and producer, Bette Midler is 76 today.
- Also turning 75 today is Irish singer-songwriter and pianist Gilbert O’Sullivan.
- Pablo Escobar, Colombian drug lord and narcoterrorist was born on that same date in 1949.
- Also born on that same date in 1954, English chemist and engineer, Judith Hackitt.
- Also turning 60 today is American biophysicist and academic Raymond E. Goldstein.
- Also born on that same date in 1970, American singer-songwriter and guitarist, Jonathan Coulton.
- 1 – Claudio Miranda (ClaudioM)
- 2 – Ben Fryxell from the MacMania Podcast
- 6 – SuperMoonMan
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for December 1, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- New technology could enable humans to travel at 7 million MPH
- Clever Physics Experiment That Produces “Something From Nothing”
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Catching Killers S1 – Netflix
- Chuck: The Blacklist: S8 – Netflix
- Kreg: Started – Cowboy Bebop – Netflix
Question of the week:
- What movie do you think has the best music?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five