Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Stewe Lundin (Reply to Question of the week)
“Well anything by Hans Zimmer.
Or why not Vangelis. One of my absolute favorite songs is Love Theme from Blade Runner.
But as an album I would say the Last of the Mohicans. That album often plays on my Spotify account”
Stewe also sent this link in:
On This Day In History for December 8, 2021
This is the 342nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 23 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1660, that A woman (either Margaret Hughes or Anne Marshall) appeared on an English public stage for the first time, in the role of Desdemona in a production of Shakespeare’s play Othello
- It was also this date in 1941 that World War II: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt declared December 7 to be “a date which will live in infamy”, after which the U.S. declares war on Japan
- That same date in 1953, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivered his “Atoms for Peace” speech, which lead to an American program to supply equipment and information on nuclear power to schools, hospitals, and research institutions around the world
- It was on this date in 1990, that the Galileo spacecraft flew past Earth for the first time
- Exactly two years later, the Galileo spacecraft flew past Earth for the second time
- Also today in 2010, the Japanese solar-sail spacecraft IKAROS passed the planet Venus at a distance of about 80,800 km
- That same date in 2010, with the second launch of the Falcon 9 and the first launch of the Dragon, SpaceX became the first private company to successfully launch, orbit and recover a spacecraft.
- It was on this date in 2013, that Metallica performed a show in Antarctica, making them the first band to perform on all seven continents
- 2 years ago today, the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in China was reported.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Queen of Scots, daughter of James V of Scotland and Mary of Guise, at Linlithgow Palace, Mary, born on this date in 1542.
- Eli Whitney, the American engineer, invented the cotton gin, was born 256 years ago today.
- Danish astronomer and mathematician, Peter Andreas Hansen, born on this date in 1795.
- French actor, director, producer, and screenwriter, Georges Méliès was born 160 years ago today.
- Born December 8, 1861, American businessman, founded General Motors and Chevrolet William C. Durant.
- American cartoonist, created Popeye, E. C. Segar, born on this date in 1894.
- Kateryna Yushchenko, the Ukrainian computer scientist and academic was born 102 years ago today.
- Julia Bowman, American mathematician and theorist was born on that same date in 1919.
- American actor, singer, and dancer, Sammy Davis, Jr. was born 96 years ago today.
- Vladimir Shatalov, the Kazakhstani general, pilot, and astronaut was born 94 years ago today.
- American actor, director, and producer, David Carradine, born on this date in 1936.
- Born December 8, 1943, American paleontologist and ornithologist Larry Martin.
- Also born on that same date in 1947, American astrophysicist, astronomer, and academic, Margaret Geller.
- English publisher and businessman, founded Northern & Shell, Richard Desmond, born on this date in 1951.
- Also turning 68 today is American actress Kim Basinger.
- Also born on that same date in 1964, American actress, Teri Hatcher.
- Irish singer-songwriter, Sinéad O’Connor, born on this date in 1966.
- 8 – DanDman
- 8 – Gydian (Michael H.)
- 9 – Steve Kite (BigUnit62)
- 12 – Deckrd
- 12 – Kevin Burns (Soleblaze)
- 12 – Matt Blocker TheGiant
- 12 – Rob Riehl (suriehl)
- 12 – Pamela Gay from AstronomyCast
- 14 – Michael Spence from Brother Osric’s Scriptorium
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for December 8, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck/Kreg: Lost in Space Season 3 (Netflix)
- Foundation (Apple TV)
- Star Trek: Prodigy (Paramount+)
- The Lost Symbol (Peacock)
Question of the week:
- What are you looking forward to next year? (extra points for answer not pandemic related)
Patreon Topic this week
- Home inspection time! Get out your wallet!
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
We want to thank Ben and Keith from The Two Gay Geeks for joining us this week!
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five