Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What element from the periodic table represents you?
On This Day In History for October 6, 2021
This is the 279th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 86 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1927, that saw the Opening of The Jazz Singer, the first prominent “talkie” movie
- 44 years ago today, The first prototype of the Mikoyan MiG-29, designated 9 -01, made its maiden flight
- It was on this date in 1995, that The first planet orbiting another sun, 51 Pegasi b, was discovered
- On October 6, 2007, Jason Lewis completed the first human-powered circumnavigation of the Earth
- That same date in 2010, Instagram, a mainstream photo-sharing application, was founded
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German navigator and geographer, Martin Behaim, born on this date in 1459.
- Born October 6, 1846, American engineer and businessman, founded the Westinghouse Air Brake Company George Westinghouse.
- Canadian engineer and academic, invented radiotelephony, Reginald Fessenden was born 155 years ago today.
- Meghnad Saha, the Indian astrophysicist, astronomer, and academic was born 128 years ago today.
- Irish physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Ernest Walton, born on this date in 1903.
- Sergei Sobolev, Russian mathematician and academic was born on that same date in 1908.
- Italian automobile designer, Orazio Satta Puliga was born 111 years ago today.
- Riccardo Giacconi, the Italian-American astrophysicist and astronomer, Nobel Prize laureate was born 90 years ago today.
- Nikolai Chernykh, Russian astronomer was born on that same date in 1931.
- American computer scientist and academic, Sheila Greibach is 82 today.
- American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer, Kevin Cronin, born on this date in 1951.
- Also born on that same date in 1978, Chinese astronaut, Liu Yang.
- 6 – John Deurholt (Jo Dho)
- 9 – Itsuko Rumpke (sounds like IT SUE-Koe)
- 9 – Mario (New Jersey)
- 10 – Victor Cajiao
- 10 – Garrett Riffal
- 11 – Bruce Barr
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 17, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- AI can predict if it will rain in two hours’ time – BBC News
- Comet as large as small planet barreling toward solar system
- Astronomers May Have Discovered the First Known Planet to Orbit 3 Stars
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Squid Game – Netflix
Question of the week:
- What was your favorite childhood Candy
Friend of the show
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five