Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Lejon from Chandler
Chuck & Craig,
Apologies for being 14 months behind.
In episode 609 you got a question about Plex and using a (Synology) NAS
– I’ve been using Synology for a few years now, and use Plex as my video/audio delivery server system. I have ripped around 400 DVDs and at lest as many CDs to the NAS and Plex does a great job. It is entirely
possible to deliver video outside your home network to your mobile devices. You can sign up for a Plex account free of charge which permits you to have other people share their content with you, one can pay for
Plex Server services monthly or a one-time-lifetime charge which allows you to install the server software onto your network and gives other neat stuff to play with.
Plex can automatically transcode, but the limitations of the NAS then come into play. I currently have Synology model DJ920 4-bay with 4 4TB raided drives which does a good job and I would recommend looking at the stats to see about your own setup(s).
Hope you’re all keeping well.
~Lejon from Chandler.
- QOTW: What’s an instance where the movie was better than the book?
On This Day In History for September 15, 2021
This is the 258th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 107 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1835, that HMS Beagle, with Charles Darwin aboard, reached the Galápagos Islands. The ship landed at Chatham or San Cristobal, the easternmost of the archipelago
- The Empire Picture Theatre (now The New Empire Cinema), the oldest running cinema in mainland Australia, opened in Bowral, New South Wales on this date in 1915
- It was also this date in 1948 that the F-86 Sabre set the world aircraft speed record at 671 miles per hour (1,080 km/h)
- Also on September 15, 1968, The Soviet Zond 5 spaceship was launched, becoming the first spacecraft to fly around the Moon and re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere
- It was 40 years ago today, that the John Bull becomes the oldest operable steam locomotive in the world when the Smithsonian Institution operated it under its own power outside Washington, D.C
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French astronomer, mathematician, and politician, 1st Mayor of Paris, Jean Sylvain Bailly, born on this date in 1736.
- James Fenimore Cooper, American novelist, short story writer, and historian was born on that same date in 1789.
- American astronomer and academic, Anna Winlock was born 164 years ago today.
- Spanish mathematician and engineer, Esteban Terradas i Illa, born on this date in 1883.
- English crime novelist, short story writer, and playwright, Agatha Christie was born 131 years ago today.
- Born September 15, 1907, Canadian-American actress Fay Wray.
- Murray Gell-Mann, American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1929.
- English singer-songwriter, computer scientist, and author, Stan Kelly-Bootle was born 92 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1941, Polish general, pilot, and astronaut, Mirosław Hermaszewski.
- Also turning 75 today is American director, screenwriter, and producer Oliver Stone.
- Also born on that same date in 1946, American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter, Tommy Lee Jones.
- Also turning 37 today is Duke of Sussex Prince Harry.
- 18 – Jeff Schultz (Gorbash)
- 20 – Joel Harper (Rincewind) / Milwaukee WI
- 20 – Joel Rickenbach [deceased] (host of the You’ve Got Geek Podcast)
- 21 – Dean Jensen (Beaker1)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for September 15, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Mars rover collects first rock sample, plans for transport to Earth | KSL.com
- How do cats get their stripes? | Live Science
- Astronomers are still looking for the elusive ‘Planet 9’
- What the world’s most accurate clock can tell us about Earth and the cosmos
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Star Trek
Question of the week:
- Which actor/actress is instantly recognizable to you whenever you hear their voice?
Patreon Topic this week
- Our Dragon Con recap
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five