Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for October 20, 2021
This is the 293rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 72 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1961, that The Soviet Union performed the first armed test of a submarine-launched ballistic missile, launching an R-13 from a Golf-class submarine
- On October 20, 1973, The Sydney Opera House was opened by Elizabeth II after 14 years of construction
- Also today in 2003, The Sloan Great Wall, once the largest cosmic structure known to humanity, was discovered by students at Princeton University.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English physicist, mathematician, and architect, designed St Paul’s Cathedral, Christopher Wren, born on this date in 1632.
- Tom Petty, American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer was born on that same date in 1950.
- Also turning 63 today is American-Danish actor and producer Viggo Mortensen.
- Also born on that same date in 1964, American politician and lawyer, 49th Vice President of the United States, Kamala Harris.
- American computer scientist and engineer, founded Slackware, Patrick Volkerding, born on this date in 1966.
- 20 – Mike from near Des Moines, Iowa
- 21 – Daniel Ebdrup Jensen (D. Ebdrup)
- 21 – Justin Diehl (nulloperations)
- 22 – Zach – zml2008
- 22 – Cassandra Therrien (Canada)
- 25 – Mad Marv – spelled “K – Y – L – E” but pronounced “Marv”. Hope that helps
- 25 – HMNSHLD
- 25 – BritOnTour (Jason)
- 25 – Scott (Minneapolis)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 20, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Nuking an Incoming Asteroid Could Actually Work, Study Suggests
- How scientists learned to enter people’s dreams – BBC Science Focus Magazine
- Canon sued for disabling scanner when printers run out of ink
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- Mathematicians Prove Melting Ice Stays Smooth | Quanta Magazine
- Even computer experts think ending human oversight of AI is a very bad idea | ZDNet
Question of the week:
- Thanks to Joe Fiore at MegaPodtastic for this one: What is the stupidest scene in a movie that totally took you out of the story.
Patreon Topic this week
- What do you do with your data when you die?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five