Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What’s a fact that’s real, but sounds completely fake?
On This Day In History for September 1, 2021
This is the 244th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 121 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1804, that Juno, one of the largest asteroids in the Main Belt, was discovered by the German astronomer Karl Ludwig Harding.
- 143 years ago today, Emma Nutt became the world’s first female telephone operator when she is recruited by Alexander Graham Bell to the Boston Telephone Dispatch Company
- It was also this date in 1934 that The first Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer animated cartoon, The Discontented Canary, was released to movie theatres
- It was 69 years ago today, that The Old Man and the Sea, the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Ernest Hemingway, was first published
- On September 1, 1972, In Reykjavík, Iceland, American Bobby Fischer beat Russian Boris Spassky to become the world chess champion
- 47 years ago today, The SR-71 Blackbird sets (and holds) the record for flying from New York to London in the time of one hour, 54 minutes and 56.4 seconds at a speed of 1,435.587 miles per hour (2,310.353 km/h)
- It was on this date in 1979, that The American space probe Pioneer 11 became the first spacecraft to visit Saturn when it passed the planet at a distance of 21,000 kilometres (13,000 mi).
- 39 years ago today, The United States Air Force Space Command was founded.
- It was 36 years ago today that A joint American-French expedition located the wreckage of the RMS Titanic.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German organist, composer, and educator, Johann Pachelbel, born on this date in 1653.
- English chemist and physicist, Nobel Prize laureate, Francis William Aston was born 144 years ago today.
- German engineer and designer, invented the Human-powered aircraft, Engelbert Zaschka, born on this date in 1895.
- Born September 1, 1922, Canadian-American actress and singer Yvonne De Carlo.
- American actress, comedian, screenwriter, and producer, Lily Tomlin, born on this date in 1939.
- Also born on that same date in 1946, Manx-English singer-songwriter and producer, Barry Gibb.
- Cuban-American singer-songwriter and actress, Gloria Estefan, born on this date in 1957.
- American captain, pilot, and astronaut, Christopher Ferguson is 60 today.
- Also turning 55 today is American video game designer, co-founded Irrational Games Ken Levine.
- 1 – David Kloempken
- 2 – Scott Tyler
- 5 – Ben Vaughan (benvon) 
- 6 – Susan Murph (SusietheGeek) How to Grow Your Geek Podcast
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for September 1, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Someone Is Trying to Build a STAR TREK Impulse Engine for Interstellar Travel – Nerdist
- Air conditioning protects from heat waves — but also worsens climate change – Vox
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- Why are hyperlinks blue?
- Interview with author/futurist Arthur C. Clarke, from an AT&T-MIT Conference, 1976
Question of the week:
- What’s an instance where the movie was better than the book?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five