Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Voicemail from John Miller Jr.
- QOTW: What is something free from the internet, which everyone should take advantage of?
On This Day In History for June 16, 2021
This is the 167th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 198 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1871, that The Universities Tests Act 1871 allowed students to enter the universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Durham without religious tests (except for those intending to study theology)
- Also on June 16, 1884, The first purpose-built roller coaster, LaMarcus Adna Thompson’s “Switchback Railway”, opened in New York’s Coney Island amusement park
- That same date in 1903, Roald Amundsen left Oslo, Norway, to commence the first east-west navigation of the Northwest Passage
- It was also this date in 1903 that The Ford Motor Company is incorporated
- 110 years ago today, IBM founded as the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company in Endicott, New York
- It was 58 years ago today, as part of the Vostok 6 mission, Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova becomes the first woman in space
- That same date in 1972, The largest single-site hydroelectric power project in Canada was inaugurated at Churchill Falls Generating Station
- It was also this date in 1977 that Oracle Corporation is incorporated in Redwood Shores, California, as Software Development Laboratories (SDL), by Larry Ellison, Bob Miner and Ed Oates
- 9 years ago today, China successfully launched its Shenzhou 9 spacecraft, carrying three astronauts, including the first female Chinese astronaut Liu Yang, to the Tiangong-1 orbital module.
- June 16, 2012, The United States Air Force’s robotic Boeing X-37B spaceplane returned to Earth after a classified 469 -day orbital mission.
- It was 5 years ago today, that Shanghai Disneyland Park, the first Disney Park in Mainland China, opened to the public.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German mathematician and physicist, Julius Plücker, born on this date in 1801.
- American tribal leader, Geronimo was born 192 years ago today.
- Ernst Otto Schlick, German engineer and author was born on that same date in 1840.
- Russian physicist and mathematician, Alexander Friedmann, born on this date in 1888.
- American mathematician and astronomer, Peter Stoner was born 133 years ago today.
- Stan Laurel, the English actor and comedian was born 131 years ago today.
- Irish computer scientist and entrepreneur; co-founded HP Autonomy, Michael Richard Lynch, born on this date in 1965.
- American actor, John Cho is 49 today.
- 15 – Miss Eliza Sea from Wingin’ It 3D
- 16 – Joe Edmisson
- 16 – Jason from The Angry Geek
- 17 – Digital Dan from the Hook Show
- 18 – Luke (platypuss72) from UK
- 18 – Xianfox from Appleton
- 19 – Steven (sphen603) from Wichita, Kansas
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 13, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- China’s Mars rover took a selfie | Engadget
- If an asteroid will truly strike Earth, NASA explains how you’ll know
- Why NASA’s VERITAS and DAVINCI+ missions are heading to Venus.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: StarGate Atlantis (Hulu)
- Kreg: Started Watching Sweet tooth (Netflix)
Question of the week:
- What is a famous movie that you cannot understand the appeal of?
Patreon Topic this week
- And then Saturday Night happened
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five