Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What is a famous movie that you cannot understand the appeal of?
On This Day In History for June 23, 2021
This is the 174th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 191 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1810, that John Jacob Astor formed the Pacific Fur Company
- It was also this date in 1860 that The United States Congress established the Government Printing Office
- On June 23, 1868, Christopher Latham Sholes received a patent for an invention he called the “Type-Writer”
- Also today in 1894, The International Olympic Committee was founded at the Sorbonne in Paris, at the initiative of Baron Pierre de Coubertin
- That same date in 1926, The College Board administered the first SAT exam
- On June 23, 1931, Wiley Post and Harold Gatty took off from Roosevelt Field, Long Island in an attempt to circumnavigate the world in a single-engine plane
- June 23, 1960, The United States Food and Drug Administration declared Enovid to be the first officially approved combined oral contraceptive pill in the world
- It was on this date in 1969, that IBM announced that effective January 1970 it will price its software and services separately from hardware thus creating the modern software industry
- That same date in 1994, NASA’s Space Station Processing Facility, a new state-of-the-art manufacturing building for the International Space Station, officially opened at Kennedy Space Center.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English mathematician and computer scientist, Alan Turing, born on this date in 1912.
- Also turning 101 today is Kuwaiti astronomer Saleh Ajeery.
- Born June 23, 1922, American lieutenant and physicist Morris R. Jeppson.
- Donn F. Eisele, American colonel, pilot, and astronaut was born on that same date in 1930.
- Baron Rees of Ludlow, English cosmologist and astrophysicist, Martin Rees, born on this date in 1942.
- Also turning 68 today is Armenian physicist, politician and current President of Armenia Armen Sarkissian.
- American director, producer, and screenwriter, Joss Whedon is 57 today.
- 25 – Mark Sheppard (Wichita, Kansas) Born 1957
- 25 – Jim Guckin from Philadelphia, Pa
- 26 – Patrick Norton
- 26 – Daughter of Will The Computer Guy
- 27 – Jordan Burkhead, daughter of Chip Burkhead from The Scotchcast
- 29 – Martin McKeay (Accch, this is the Big 40!)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 23, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- ‘Spider apocalypse’ hits Australia covering countryside in eerie blankets of cobwebs after biblical mouse plague
- Coelacanth Surprises Scientists Again—It Can Live for 100 Years
- World’s First Wooden Satellite Set To Launch – Can Plywood Survive in Space?
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Can a $110 Million Helmet Unlock the Secrets of the Mind?
- Iconic ‘Star Wars’ X-wing fighter finds a new home at the Smithsonian Museum | Space
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Question of the week:
- What is the worst season of a good show?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five