Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show
On This Day In History for May 19, 2021
This is the 139th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 226 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1743, that Jean-Pierre Christin developed the centigrade temperature scale
- Also on May 19, 1961, Venera 1 became the first man-made object to fly by another planet by passing Venus (the probe had lost contact with Earth a month earlier and did not send back any data)
- 59 years ago today, A birthday salute to U.S. President John F. Kennedy took place at Madison Square Garden, New York City. The highlight was Marilyn Monroe’s rendition of “Happy Birthday”
- May 19, 1971, Mars 2 was launched by the Soviet Union
- On May 19, 1996, Space Shuttle Endeavour was launched on mission STS-77.
- Also today in 2000, Space Shuttle Atlantis was launched on mission STS-101 to resupply the International Space Station.
- It was on this date in 2018, that The wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle was held at St George’s Chapel, Windsor, with an estimated global audience of 1.9 billion
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American businessman and philanthropist, Johns Hopkins, born on this date in 1795.
- John Jacob Abel, American biochemist and pharmacologist was born on that same date in 1857.
- Born May 19, 1903, American scientist Ruth Ella Moore.
- American minister and activist, Malcolm X, born on this date in 1925.
- English engineer and businessman, founded Lotus Cars, Colin Chapman was born 93 years ago today.
- Dick Scobee, the American colonel, pilot, and astronaut was born 82 years ago today.
- American computer scientist, founded Digital Research Inc., Gary Kildall, born on this date in 1942.
- Jamaican-American singer-songwriter, producer, and actress, Grace Jones is 73 today.
- American singer-songwriter and bass player, Dusty Hill, born on this date in 1949.
- Joey Ramone, American singer-songwriter was born on that same date in 1951.
- Canadian-American computer scientist, created Java, James Gosling is 66 today.
- 14 – JPCJ
- 22 – Tim Elliott
- 23 – Kris Ziel Host and producer of The AVScast and 24 Under Review
- 26 – Eli Yukelzon
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 19, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link. chuckchat.com/birthday
- Neural Interface Lets Man Type On Computer By Imagining Handwriting : Shots – Health News : NPR
- Former Navy pilot says flight crews observed UFOs off Atlantic Coast “every day for at least a couple years” – CBS News
- Venus Flyby Reveals Low-Frequency Radio Signal Detected in The Planet’s Atmosphere
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Bunny, the dog that can “talk,” starts asking existential questions | Salon.com
- Here’s why farting in space isn’t as fun as it sounds – Science
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg: Snakes on a Plane (HBOmax)
- Kreg: Love, Death & Robots (Netflix)
- Chuck: 1969 (Hulu)
- The Secret Life of Machines (Remastered show from 1987)
Question of the week:
- What fictional character should have been hit with a huge lawsuit at the end of the story?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five