Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What was the most overrated product you have purchased?
On This Day In History for May 5, 2021
This is the 125th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 240 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1494, that Christopher Columbus landed on the island of Jamaica and claimed it for Spain.
- Also today in 1809, Mary Kies became the first woman awarded a U.S. patent, for a technique of weaving straw with silk and thread
- Also on May 5, 1835, The first railway in continental Europe opened between Brussels and Mechelen
- It was 130 years ago today, that The Music Hall in New York City (later known as Carnegie Hall) had its grand opening and first public performance, with Tchaikovsky as the guest conductor
- It was on this date in 1925, that John T. Scopes was served an arrest warrant, as part of the Scopes Trial, for teaching evolution in violation of the Butler Act
- That same date in 1961, Alan Shepard became the first American to travel into outer space, on a sub-orbital flight
- It was 1 years ago today that The National Telecommunications Commission issued a cease and desist order to ABS-CBN to stop the operations of its free TV and radio stations one day after their 25 -year congressional franchise expired.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German geographer and academic, Ferdinand von Richthofen, born on this date in 1833.
- Born May 5, 1883, American mathematician Anna Johnson Pell Wheeler.
- Helen Redfield, the American geneticist was born 121 years ago today.
- Arthur Leonard Schawlow, American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1921.
- Born May 5, 1923, Canadian mathematician Cathleen Synge Morawetz.
- English actor and screenwriter, Michael Palin, born on this date in 1943.
- Also turning 77 today is Welsh actor and screenwriter John Rhys-Davies.
- American screenwriter and producer, Josh Weinstein is 55 today.
- English singer-songwriter, Adele, born on this date in 1988.
- 5 – Joe Mieczkowski host of Onthepodcast
- 6 – Amber Pace (not really a listener, but a mother and a wife of listeners)
- 6 – Bill Barbour
- 6 – Steve Bickle
- 6 – Brian Brown
- 8 – Curtis Parish
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 5, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- MIT: On Course to Create a Fusion Power Plant
- Toyota built an internal combustion engine that sips hydrogen, and it sounds awesome – SlashGear
- China has a satellite with an arm – and America worries it could be used to snatch other spacecraft • The Register
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- Pennsylvania Man Owns Over 40,000 Diecast Vehicles, Worth More Than His House – autoevolution
- Related: This 100 Car Treadmill Race was Surprisingly Entertaining » TwistedSifter
Question of the week:
- What’s a quote that permanently changed the way you look at things?
Patreon Topic this week
- Keep a spare cork in your pocket
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five