Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Email – Edward Chase
- In the latest episode, 634, Kreg mentions having a lien on his house for an unreturned VCR rental. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, I believe. He states that he paid the $80 lien, but also mentioned that the video store was no longer in business. So my question is, who did Kreg pay?
- Voicemail – Amy Bowen
- Voicemail – Brian from Minnesota
“Hey Tiffany Craig, this is Brian from Blaine Minnesota. Hey, I’ve been watching Battlestar Galactica still holds up the phone with you guys about Battlestar, almost one and the same guys. Thanks. Talk to you later. Bye.”
- QOTW: Even if you are an adult, what is something that you are never truly too old for?
On This Day In History for April 14, 2021
This is the 104th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 261 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1561, that A celestial phenomenon was reported over Nuremberg, described as an aerial battle.
- U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was shot in Ford’s Theatre by John Wilkes Booth on this date in 1865; Lincoln lived till the following day.
- Also on April 14, 1894, the first ever commercial motion picture house opened in New York City, United States, using ten Kinetoscopes, a device for peep-show viewing of films.
- That same date in 1902, James Cash Penney opened his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming.
- Also today in 1912, the British passenger liner RMS Titanic hit an iceberg in the North Atlantic at 23:40 (sinks morning of April 15th)
- 94 years ago today, the first Volvo car premiered in Gothenburg, Sweden
- That same date in 1928, a German Junkers W 33 type aircraft, reached Greenly Island, Canada – the first successful transatlantic aeroplane flight from east to west
- Also today in 1939, The Grapes of Wrath, by American author John Steinbeck was first published by the Viking Press
- It was on this date in 1958, that the Soviet satellite Sputnik 2 fell from orbit after a mission duration of 162 days. This was the first spacecraft to carry a living animal, a female dog named Laika, who likely lived only a few hours
- On April 14, 1981, STS-1: The first operational Space Shuttle, Columbia completed its first test flight
- It was 18 years ago today, that The Human Genome Project was completed with 99% of the human genome sequenced to an accuracy of 99.99%
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Christiaan Huygens, Dutch mathematician, astronomer, and physicist was born on that same date in 1629.
- Flemish cartographer and geographer, Abraham Ortelius, born on this date in 1527.
- English barrister and one time owner of Stonehenge, Cecil Chubb, born on this date in 1876.
- Born April 14, 1882, German-Austrian physicist and philosopher Moritz Schlick.
- Also born on that same date in 1932, American singer-songwriter and musician, Loretta Lynn.
- Armenian-Russian nuclear physicist, Yuri Oganessian, born on this date in 1933.
- Also turning 79 today is Russian engineer and astronaut Valentin Lebedev.
- Also born on that same date in 1950, American physician and geneticist, Francis Collins.
- American actor, Anthony Michael Hall, born on this date in 1968.
- Also born on that same date in 1977, American actress and producer, Sarah Michelle Gellar.
- 7 – P.C. Haring
- 14 – Danny Harnish
- 16 – Donna Tomasi
- 18 – Skaifey (Anthony)
- 19 – Amanda (SusietheGeek’s daughter & Geek in Training)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 14, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Life-Size Replica of The Mandalorian’s Razor Crest Destroyed
- Scientists show you can collect DNA from the air | Engadget
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg – Rocketman (Hulu), Thunder Force (Netflix)
- Chuck – The 4400 (Netflix)
- Myron Dupler Sent in Pure Relaxation – The Sounds of the Server Room
- Puppy’s Reaction after Watching Darth Vader for First Time Goes Viral, Luke Skywalker Says He Can Relate (news18.com)
- This is why China and Russia want to build a base on the Moon (thenextweb.com)
Question of the week:
- What item today is prohibitively expensive but will be mainstream in 60 years from now?
Patreon Topic this week
- Don’t commit to things you can’t get an “A” on
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five