Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- QOTW: What item today is prohibitively expensive but will be mainstream in 60 years from now?
- Email From Kyle:
“The tech that is prohibitively expensive now but will be cheap in the future is CRISPR (i.e. gene editing), and possibly quantum computing. I can easily imagine the cost of gene editing to come down in the future because what kind of parents wouldn’t want to engineer their own babies?
Quantum computers OTOH is looking more like the flying car. It’s something that sounds cool, costs way too much and has no reason to be developed for general consumers.
BTW, Googling for flying cars these days is interesting.
- Postal mail from Stewe Lundin
- John Miller Jr. – Voicemail
On This Day In History for April 21, 2021
This is the 111st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 254 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 753 BC, that Romulus founded Rome (traditional date)
- The Laguna Copperplate Inscription (the earliest known written document found in what is now the Philippines): the Commander-in-Chief of the Kingdom of Tondo, as represented by the Honourable Jayadewa, Lord Minister of Pailah, pardoned from all debt the Honourable Namwaran and his relations on this date in 900
- Also today in 1615, The Wignacourt Aqueduct was inaugurated in Malta
- It was 59 years ago today, that The Seattle World’s Fair (Century 21 Exposition) opened. It was the first World’s Fair in the United States since World War II
- The 1964 -1965 New York World’s Fair opened for its second and final season on this date in 1965
- Also on April 21, 1972, Astronauts John Young and Charles Duke flew Apollo 16’s Apollo Lunar Module to the Moon’s surface, the fifth NASA Apollo Program crewed lunar landing.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French physicist, astronomer, and mathematician, Jean-Baptiste Biot, born on this date in 1774.
- John Muir, Scottish-American environmentalist and author was born on that same date in 1838.
- Born April 21, 1882, American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate Percy Williams Bridgman.
- Russian-Swiss chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Paul Karrer, born on this date in 1889.
- Queen of the United Kingdom and her other realms, Elizabeth II is 95 today.
- Also turning 74 today is American singer-songwriter, producer, and actor Iggy Pop.
- American actor and producer, Tony Danza is 70 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1979, Scottish actor, James McAvoy.
- 21 – Kim and Kreg’s Anniversary
- 26 – Stewe Lundin – Sweden
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 21, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Seeing Quadruple: Artificial Intelligence Leads to Discovery That Can Help Solve Cosmological Puzzles
- NASA Pays Elon Musk’s SpaceX $2.9 Billion To Ferry Astronauts To Moon Surface : NPR
- New warp drive research dashes faster-than-light travel dreams
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kon Tiki (Netflix)
- Stargate Atlantis (Hulu)
- Napoleon Dynamite cartoon (Hulu)
- Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney+)
Question of the week:
- What is a lifehack that seems fake, but is a true lifesaver?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five