Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for March 31, 2021
This is the 90th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 275 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1889, that The Eiffel Tower was officially opened.
- On March 31, 1918, Daylight saving time went into effect in the United States for the first time
- It was 91 years ago today, that The Motion Picture Production Code was instituted, imposing strict guidelines on the treatment of sex, crime, religion and violence in film, in the U.S., for the next thirty-eight years
- It was on this date in 1951, that Remington Rand delivered the first UNIVAC I computer to the United States Census Bureau
- 55 years ago today, The Soviet Union launched Luna 10 which later becomes the first space probe to enter orbit around the Moon
- That same date in 1970, Explorer 1 re-entered the Earth’s atmosphere after 12 years in orbit
- On March 31, 1998, Netscape released Mozilla source code under an open source license
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician and philosopher, René Descartes, born on this date in 1596.
- Born March 31, 1730, French mathematician and theorist Étienne Bézout.
- Dutch-American astronomer and academic, Adriaan van Maanen was born 137 years ago today.
- Australian-English physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, William Lawrence Bragg, born on this date in 1890.
- Japanese physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Sin-Itiro Tomonaga was born 115 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1943, American actor, Christopher Walken.
- Also turning 76 today is American computer scientist and engineer, founder of Pixar, Edwin Catmull.
- American soldier and politician, 45th Vice President of the United States and Nobel Prize laureate (and reported inventor of the Internet), Al Gore, born on this date in 1948.
- 4 – Brian K
- 4 – Joel McLaughlin (aka Gorkon)
- 4 – Amy Bowen
- 5 – Chad Davis, Jon Issler (hsteckylf)
- 5 – Griffin Sylvester (Ildreancipher)
- 5 – Martine Tysmans – citytrips, travelling, jokes… (in Dutch)
- 5 – Ringmaster Greg from Dancing With Elephants
- 6 – Trevor Litecky (future Geek)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for March 31, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Space junk removal: Mission to clean up debris with magnets set for launch – CNN
- Rocket debris lit up PNW skies, Harvard and Smithsonian astronomer says | KATU
- Asteroid Apophis won’t impact Earth for at least a century, NASA finds – CNN
- Event Horizon Telescope captures new view of black hole in polarized light | Ars Technica
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg – The Irregulars
Question of the week:
- Even if you are an adult, what is something that you are never truly too old for?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five