Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for February 10, 2021
This is the 41st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 324 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1502, that Vasco da Gama set sail from Lisbon, Portugal, on his second voyage to India..
- It was also this date in 1906 that HMS Dreadnought, the first of a revolutionary new breed of battleships was christened..
- That same date in 1923, Texas Tech University was founded as Texas Technological College in Lubbock, Texas.
- 81 years ago today, Cartoon characters Tom and Jerry made their debut with “Puss Gets the Boot”.
- February 10, 1962, Captured American U2 spy-plane pilot Gary Powers was exchanged for captured Soviet spy Rudolf Abel.
- Also on February 10, 1996, IBM supercomputer Deep Blue defeated Garry Kasparov in chess for the first time.
- That same date in 2009, the communications satellites Iridium 33 and Kosmos 2251 collided in orbit, destroying both.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French physicist and engineer, Claude-Louis Navier, born on this date in 1785.
- Irish astronomer and author, Agnes Mary Clerke was born 179 years ago today.
- American chemist and academic, Ira Remsen, born on this date in 1846.
- Edith Clarke, American electrical engineer was born on that same date in 1883.
- Born February 10, 1893, American actor, singer, and pianist Jimmy Durante.
- American actor, Lon Chaney Jr., born on this date in 1906.
- Also born on that same date in 1930, American actor and producer, Robert Wagner.
- Also turning 84 today is American singer-songwriter and pianist Roberta Flack.
- American media executive, Bob Iger, born on this date in 1951.
- American television personality, pundit, and author, Jim Cramer is 66 today.
- Also turning 64 today is American astrophysicist and academic Katherine Freese.
- Also born on that same date in 1960, American biologist, computer programmer, academic, Jim Kent.
- American actress, director, and producer, Laura Dern, born on this date in 1967.
- Also turning 53 today is American engineer and astronaut Garrett Reisman.
- 10 – Drace (Shari from ND)
- 14 – Douglas E. Welch of Career Opportunities Podcast
- 14 – Andrew from Illinois
- 15 – Philip from Australia
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 10, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Podcasts we listen to?
- Documentary Series: Fear City – NYC vs the Mob (inspiration for Tee’s latest work)
- Documentary Series: The Lady and the Dale (new way of doing documentaries?)
- Disenchantment Season 3 – Netflix
- The History of American Newspapers Has Been Digitized: Explore 114 Years of Editor & Publisher, “the Bible of the Newspaper Industry” | Open Culture
- Celebrities reenacted the entirety of <em>The Princess Bride</em> in their homes – Geekologie
Question of the week:
- What common product has a feature you’re not sure everyone is aware of?
Patreon Topic this week
- Season Finale of The Expanse: Farewell, Alex / Good riddance, Cas (separating character from actor/artist)
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five