Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for February 3, 2021
This is the 34th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 331 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1690, that The colony of Massachusetts issued the first paper money in the Americas.
- That same date in 1918, The Twin Peaks Tunnel in San Francisco, California began service as the longest streetcar tunnel in the world at 11,920 feet (3,633 meters) long.
- It was also this date in 1959 that Rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J. P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson was killed in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa.
- On February 3, 1966, The Soviet Union’s Luna 9 became the first spacecraft to make a soft landing on the Moon, and the first spacecraft to take pictures from the surface of the Moon..
- Also today in 1984, Space Shuttle mission STS-41 -B was launched using Space Shuttle Challenger.
- Also on February 3, 1994, Space Shuttle mission STS-60 was launched, carrying Sergei Krikalev, the first Russian cosmonaut to fly aboard the Shuttle..
- Also today in 1995, Astronaut Eileen Collins became the first woman to pilot the Space Shuttle as mission STS-63 gets underway from Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English scientist, Gideon Mantell, born on this date in 1790.
- Felix Mendelssohn, the German pianist, composer, and conductor was born 212 years ago today.
- Hugo Junkers, German engineer, designed the Junkers J 1 was born on that same date in 1859.
- American painter and illustrator, Norman Rockwell, born on this date in 1894.
- Pretty Boy Floyd, American gangster was born on that same date in 1904.
- Also born on that same date in 1950, American actress, Morgan Fairchild.
- American mathematician, geneticist, and academic, Eric Lander is 64 today.
- Also turning 51 today is English actor, producer, and screenwriter Warwick Davis.
- Also born on that same date in 1984, American fraudster, founder of Theranos, Elizabeth Holmes.
- 3 – Euan Campbell McGregor – Scotland, UK
- 4 – Stewe Lundin
- 7 – Chad W. Smith from Chattanooga, TN
- 7 – Bryon the Big BS in PA, Williamsport PA
- 8 – Jan Scott from Yorkshire, UK
- 9 – Podcast Mike Willsfrom Minnesota
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 3, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- High School Students Build A Back To The Future Monument (kotaku.com)
- NASA’s Perseverance Mars rover landing will be must-see TV – CNET
- Earth is about to lose its second moon, forever | Live Science
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Night Stalker – Chuck
- Ready Player 2 – Chuck
- I asked a neuroscientist how to better remember my internet passwords (sfgate.com)
- I Built a WORKING Mini PowerMac G3! (YouTube)
Question of the week:
- What movie quotes do you live by?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five