Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Feedback from Kyle
- What are some red flags that the movie you are about to watch is bad?
On This Day In History for January 27, 2021
This is the 27th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 338 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1606, the trial of Guy Fawkes and other conspirators in the Gunpowder Plot began, ending with their execution on January 31.
- On January 27, 1785, The University of Georgia was founded, the first public university in the United States.
- January 27, 1820, A Russian expedition led by Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen and Mikhail Petrovich Lazarev discovered the Antarctic continent.
- Also today in 1880, Thomas Edison received a patent for his incandescent lamp.
- January 27, 1939, was the first flight of the Lockheed P-38 Lightning.
- Also on January 27, 1951, nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site began with Operation Ranger.
- On January 27, 1967, Astronauts Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee were killed in a fire during a test of their Apollo 1 spacecraft at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida.
- It was on this date in 1967, that the Soviet Union, the United States, and the United Kingdom signed the Outer Space Treaty in Washington, D.C., banning deployment of nuclear weapons in space, and limiting use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes.
- January 27, 1983, was the breakthrough of the pilot shaft of the Seikan Tunnel, the world’s longest sub-aqueous tunnel (53.85 km) between the Japanese islands of Honshū and Hokkaidō.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German engineer and architect, designed Würzburg Residence and Basilica of the Fourteen Holy Helpers, Johann Balthasar Neumann, born on this date in 1687.
- Born January 27, 1756, Austrian pianist and composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- Eli Whitney Blake, the American engineer, invented the Mortise lock was born 226 years ago today.
- Born January 27, 1814, French architect, designed the Lausanne Cathedral Eugène Viollet-le-Duc.
- Dutch physicist and academic, Balthasar van der Pol was born 132 years ago today.
- Francis Rogallo, American engineer, invented the Rogallo wing was born on that same date in 1912.
- Born January 27, 1919, American singer-songwriter, pianist, producer, and actor, created Alvin and the Chipmunks Ross Bagdasarian, Sr..
- American actress, Donna Reed was born 100 years ago today.
- Also turning 85 today is American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate Samuel C. C. Ting.
- American actor, James Cromwell, born on this date in 1940.
- New Zealand astronomer and cosmologist, Beatrice Tinsley was born 80 years ago today.
- 27 – Mark in Memphis
- 27 – Chip Burkhead from The Scotchcast
- 29 – Sarah P. from NJ… who was born in OK, moved to VA, married Brad P, moved to NJ, and is now back in VA
- 1 – Matt Baum aka Racer X, Pittsburgh PA
- 1 – Brandon Kirkwold, MN
- 2 – Gary Lindros – aka Gary from Jacksonville – Groundhog’s Day Rules!!!
- 2 – Chuck Provenzano aka podlurker aka Chuck’s evil twin
- 2 – Oreo Cookie Monster
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 27, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Thanks to Perseverance, We’re Finally Going to Hear What Mars Sounds Like – Universe Today
- Alphabet is shutting down Loon, its internet balloon company – The Verge
- Cancer can be precisely diagnosed using a urine test with artificial intelligence | EurekAlert! Science News
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Chris Martinez||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- RIP Gregory Sierra (Julio from Sanford and Son)
- Tour of my 1982 Knight Rider Kitt Replica – YouTube
- A Habitat at Ceres Could be the Gateway to the Outer Solar System – Universe Today
Question of the week:
- What job sounds dull and boring but is actually awesome and quite fun?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five