Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- VoiceMail from Dan Coyer
- Email from Mad Marv
On This Day In History for January 13, 2021
This is the 13th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 352 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1888, that The National Geographic Society was founded in Washington, D.C.
- On January 13, 1910, The first public radio broadcast took place; a live performance of the operas Cavalleria rusticana and Pagliacci were sent out over the airwaves from the Metropolitan Opera House in New York.
- Henry Ford patented a plastic automobile, which was 30% lighter than a regular car on this date in 1942.
- On January 13, 1968, Johnny Cash performed live at Folsom State Prison.
- It was also this date in 1978 that the United States Food and Drug Administration required all blood donations to be labeled “paid” or “volunteer” donors.
- It was 28 years ago today that Space Shuttle Endeavour headed for space for the third time as STS-54 launched from the Kennedy Space Center.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French astronomer and academic, Félix Tisserand, born on this date in 1845.
- Born January 13, 1864, German physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate Wilhelm Wien.
- Alfred Fuller, Canadian-American businessman, founded the Fuller Brush Company was born on that same date in 1885.
- Austrian-American mathematician from the Vienna Circle, Karl Menger was born 119 years ago today.
- Robert Stack, the American actor was born 102 years ago today.
- Born January 13, 1926, English soldier and author, created Paddington Bear Michael Bond.
- Charles Nelson Reilly, the American actor, comedian, director, game show panelist, and television personality was born 90 years ago today.
- Rip Taylor, American actor and comedian was born on that same date in 1935.
- Indian commander, pilot, and astronaut, Rakesh Sharma, born on this date in 1949.
- Also turning 61 today is American physicist and chemist, Nobel Prize laureate Eric Betzig.
- Also born on that same date in 1961, American actress, comedian, and producer, Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
- 14 – Glynne Tolar
- 15 – Ralph Whitfield (aka GoofyRalph)
- 17 – fuffy_frog (aka Kristina) originally from Canada but now from Thailand
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 13, 2021
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- I lived like an astronaut for months in isolation | Space | The Guardian
- Earth is spinning faster: Time flies in 50-year record – The Jerusalem Post
- Evidence of water movement found in meteorites that only recently fell to Earth
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Look Around Chuck Yeager’s Cockpit | Articles | Air & Space Magazine
- From the archive: Will you emigrate to the moon? | Life and style | The Guardian
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- The History of Swear Words – Netflix – Kreg
Question of the week:
- What Movie/TV/Book after finishing it made you go, “What the hell was that?”
Patreon Topic this week
- More LinkedIn lessons
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five