Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for January 6, 2021
This is the 6th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 359 days remaining in 2021.
- It was on this date in 1838, that Alfred Vail and colleagues demonstrated a telegraph system using dots and dashes (this is the forerunner of Morse code)..
- Also on January 6, 1847, Samuel Colt obtained his first contract for the sale of revolver pistols to the United States government..
- Also today in 1912, German geophysicist Alfred Wegener first presented his theory of continental drift..
- It was also this date in 1930 that The first diesel-powered automobile trip was completed, from Indianapolis, Indiana, to New York, New York..
- 74 years ago today, Pan American Airlines became the first commercial airline to offer a round-the-world ticket.
- It was 47 years ago today, that In response to the 1973 oil crisis, daylight saving time commenced nearly four months early in the United States.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French martyr and saint, Joan of Arc, born on this date in 1412.
- Born January 6, 1561, Danish mathematician and physicist Thomas Fincke.
- French chemist and academic, Anselme Payen was born 226 years ago today.
- Born January 6, 1807, German-Hungarian mathematician and physicist Joseph Petzval.
- American cowboy and actor, Tom Mix was born 141 years ago today.
- Danny Thomas, the American actor, comedian, producer and humanitarian was born 109 years ago today.
- Born January 6, 1920, Korean religious leader; founder of the Unification Church Sun Myung Moon.
- Earl Scruggs, the American banjo player was born 97 years ago today.
- American engineer and businessman, founded the DeLorean Motor Company, John DeLorean, born on this date in 1925.
- American actor, Vic Tayback was born 91 years ag today.
- Oleg Grigoryevich Makarov, the Russian engineer and astronaut was born 88 years ago today.
- Born January 6, 1944, American actress and singer Bonnie Franklin.
- Also turning 77 today is Swiss immunologist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate Rolf M. Zinkernagel.
- Also born on that same date in 1948, American colonel and astronaut, Guy Gardner.
- British-American astrophysicist and astronaut, Michael Foale, born on this date in 1957.
- Born January 6, 1968, American director, producer, and screenwriter John Singleton.
- 3 – Thomas Gideon (The Command Line Podcast)
- 6 – Steve Therrien (Canada)
- 8 – Elvis!
- 9 – Lingo from the Brit & Yankee pubcast
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 6, 2021.
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Some BODY Put All of Shrek onto a 1.44 MB Floppy Disk
- You can’t unsee Tedlexa, the Internet of Things/AI bear of your nightmares | Ars Technica
- Blackboard Becomes Tidy Pen Plotter | Hackaday
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Ripper – Netflix
- The Stand – CBS All Access
- Kreg: Cobra Kai Season 3
- Kreg: Ready Player 2
- The Great Conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter forming a single bright “star” in the sky.
- ONE YEAR of exposure in the camera
Question of the week:
- God has made you a developer of the universe, your task is to create small patches/bug fixes to improve humans. What do you do?
Patreon Topic this week
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five