Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for December 16, 2020
This is the 351st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 15 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1843, that The discovery of octonions by John T. Graves, who denoted them with a boldface O, was announced to his mathematician friend William Hamilton, discoverer of quaternions, in a letter on this date.
- That same date in 1907, The American Great White Fleet begins its circumnavigation of the world.
- 83 years ago today, Theodore Cole and Ralph Roe attempted to escape from the American federal prison on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay; neither is ever seen again.
- Also on December 16, 1947, William Shockley, John Bardeen and Walter Brattain built the first practical point-contact transistor.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English novelist, Jane Austen, born on this date in 1775.
- Johann Wilhelm Ritter, German chemist, physicist, and philosopher was born on that same date in 1776.
- Viktor Bunyakovsky, the Russian mathematician and academic was born 216 years ago today.
- George Santayana, Spanish philosopher, novelist, and poet was born on that same date in 1863.
- Bertha Lamme Feicht, the American electrical engineer was born 151 years ago today.
- Born December 16, 1882, German physicist and engineer Walther Meissner.
- Arthur C. Clarke, British science fiction writer was born on that same date in 1917.
- Born December 16, 1928, American philosopher and author Philip K. Dick.
- American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer, Billy Gibbons, born on this date in 1949.
- Also turning 51 today is American astrophysicist, astronomer, and academic Nobel Prize laureate Adam Riess.
- American computer scientist and academic, Jen Golbeck is 44 today.
- American actress, musician, and model, Krysten Ritter, born on this date in 1981.
- 17 – Jorge Schrauwen
- 20 – Phil Burchill the 9 year old I started listening to Technorama with turned 21 this year (2017)!
- 21 – James Ballard KarakSindru
- 22 – Bo Pace
- 22 – Luke “Chuck’s Stalker” Smith (2000)
- 22 – Jason Pelloni, Tampa, FL
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for December 16, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Japan’s asteroid sample returns home, poised to reveal solar system’s secrets – CNET
- Scientists say they have come up with potential way to make oxygen on Mars – CNN
- NVIDIA found a way to train AI with very little data | Engadget
- Erectile Dysfunction Drug and Anti-Depressant Accidentally Swapped in Factory
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Spiffy|
|Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Mank – Netflix – Kreg & Chuck
Question of the week:
- What happens regularly that would horrify a person from 100 years ago?
Patreon Topic this week
- Liisa showed me some new tricks on my Android phone
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five