Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for December 9, 2020
This is the 344th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 22 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1793, that New York City’s first daily newspaper, the American Minerva, was established by Noah Webster.
- It was also this date in 1868 that The first traffic lights were installed, outside the Palace of Westminster in London. Resembling railway signals, they use semaphore arms and are illuminated at night by red and green gas lamps.
- That same date in 1950,Harry Gold is sentenced to 30 years in jail for helping Klaus Fuchs pass information about the Manhattan Project to the Soviet Union. His testimony is later instrumental in the prosecution of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.
- December 9, 1953, General Electric announced that all communist employees will be discharged from the company.
- 58 years ago today, The Petrified Forest National Park was established in Arizona.
- Also today in 1965, A Charlie Brown Christmas, first in a series of Peanuts television specials, debuted on CBS.
- It was also this date in 1968 that Douglas Engelbart gave what became known as “The Mother of All Demos”, publicly debuting the computer mouse, hypertext, and the bit-mapped graphical user interface using the oN-Line System (NLS).
- Also today in 1979, The eradication of the smallpox virus was certified, making smallpox the first of only two diseases that have been driven to extinction (rinderpest in 2011 being the other).
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Dutch mathematician and cartographer, Gemma Frisius, born on this date in 1508.
- Dutch mathematician and astronomer, Metius was born 449 years ago today.
- Polish-German chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Fritz Haber, born on this date in 1868.
- Nikolai Luzin, Russian mathematician, theorist, and academic was born on that same date in 1883.
- German-American fitness expert, developed Pilates, Joseph Pilates, born on this date in 1883.
- Clarence Birdseye, the American businessman, founded Birds Eye was born 134 years ago today.
- American admiral and computer scientist, designed COBOL, Grace Hopper, born on this date in 1906.
- American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, James Rainwater was born 103 years ago today.
- American chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, William Lipscomb, born on this date in 1919.
- American actor, Redd Foxx was born 98 years ago today.
- Born December 9, 1928, American actor Dick Van Patten.
- English actress, Judi Dench is 86 today.
- American actor and voice artist, Michael Dorn, born on this date in 1952.
- Also born on that same date in 1953, American actor and producer, John Malkovich.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for December 9, 2020
- 9 – Steve Kite (BigUnit62)
- 12 – Deckrd
- 12 – Kevin Burns (Soleblaze)
- 12 – Matt Blocker TheGiant
- 12 – Rob Riehl (suriehl)
- 12 – Pamela Gay from AstronomyCast
- 14 – Michael Spence from Brother Osric’s Scriptorium
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- AI solves 50-year-old science problem in ‘stunning advance’ that could dramatically change how we fight diseases, researchers say | The Independent
- For the first time in 800 years, Saturn and Jupiter will align to make a ‘Christmas star’ – GOOD
- Scientists Reverse the Aging Clock: Restore Age-Related Vision Loss Through Epigenetic Reprogramming
- NASA selects four companies for lunar sample purchases – SpaceNews
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck – Man in the High Castle – Season 4
- A Recording of Stan Lee on a Hilariously Profane Rant Gets Animated by His Former Sound Engineer
- How Mission Control’s Big Displays Worked – YouTube
Question of the week:
- If someone says to you, “say a movie quote!”, what is the first one that comes to mind?
Patreon Topic this week
- ISP update
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five