Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- If you were an assassin, what would your trademark be that tells people it was you who committed the crime?
On This Day In History for October 28, 2020
This is the 302nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 64 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1492, that Christopher Columbus landed in Cuba on his first voyage to the New World.
- It was 384 years ago today, that The Massachusetts Bay Colony voted to establish a theological college, which would later become Harvard University.
- 294 years ago today, The novel Gulliver’s Travels was published.
- Also on October 28, 1886, President Cleveland dedicated the Statue of Liberty.
- On October 28, 1942, The Alaska Highway first connected Alaska to the North American railway network at Dawson Creek in Canada.
- It was on this date in 1948, that Paul Müller was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his discovery of the insecticidal properties of DDT.
- That same date in 1956, Elvis Presley received a polio vaccination on national TV.
- On October 28, 1971, Prospero became the only British satellite to be launched by a British rocket.
- It was on this date in 2009, that NASA successfully launched the Ares I-X mission, the only rocket launch for its short-lived Constellation program.
- Also today in 2014, A rocket carrying NASA’s Cygnus CRS Orb-3 resupply mission to the International Space Station exploded seconds after taking off from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport in Virginia.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician and engineer, Antoine Deparcieux, born on this date in 1703.
- Ignacije Szentmartony, Croatian priest, mathematician, astronomer, and explorer was born on that same date in 1718.
- Born October 28, 1793, American businessman, founded Remington Arms, Eliphalet Remington.
- Belgian mathematician and theorist, Pierre François Verhulst was born 216 years ago today.
- Wilhelm Anderson, the Belarusian-Estonian astrophysicist and astronomer was born 140 years ago today.
- Born October 28, 1905, Dutch mathematician Tatyana Pavlovna Ehrenfest.
- Jonas Salk, American biologist and physician was born on that same date in 1914.
- Also born on that same date in 1955, American businessman and philanthropist, co-founded Microsoft, Bill Gates.
- American computer scientist and mathematician, Landon Curt Noll, born on this date in 1960.
- Also turning 53 today is American video game designer, co-founded Id Software John Romero.
- American computer scientist, Jawed Karim is 41 today.
- 28 – Dylan Licata (San Antonio)
- 29 – Big Jim Clark, MegaPodTastic
- 30 – WolfGeek (Indiana)
- 1 – Amber Elstad
- 2 – Mark McCoy
- 3 – Ken Pace
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 28, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- NASA collected asteroid dust, but it’s leaking on its return journey
- Now is the time to treat the internet as a utility – Los Angeles Times
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Life on Venus? Carl Sagan predicted it in 1967. He may be right.
- A Human Toddler and a Mammoth Crossed Paths in Ancient New Mexico, Footprints Suggest
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche||Steve Therrien|
|Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin||Intentionally Left Blank|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Latest Borat movie – (Amazon) Prime Video
- Hidden Figures – (Disney+)
Question of the week:
- What lives in your brain rent free?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five