Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Mad Marv
Catching up on my backlog and had to share this phrase that annoys a
friend in my Toastmasters club. He can’t stand when people say “With no
further ado…” because it is an unnecessary waste of air. The phrase
could also be phrased “Without further delay.”
What he likes to do when he hears people use the phrase is say to “With
no further a doo-doo” under his breath.
On This Day In History for October 21, 2020
This is the 295th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 71 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1520, that João Álvares Fagundes discovered the islands of Saint Pierre and Miquelon, bestowing them their original name of “Islands of the 11,000 Virgins”.
- Also on October 21, 1520, Ferdinand Magellan discovered a strait now known as the Strait of Magellan.
- October 21, 1824, Portland cement is patented.
- Also today in 1879, Thomas Edison applied for a patent for his design for an incandescent light bulb.
- Also on October 21, 1940, The first edition of the Ernest Hemingway novel For Whom the Bell Tolls was published.
- It was also this date in 1959 that President Eisenhower approved the transfer of all US Army space-related activities to NASA, including most of the Army Ballistic Missile Agency.
- 37 years ago today, The metre is defined as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second.
- On October 21, 2005, Images of the dwarf planet Eris were taken and subsequently used in documenting its discovery.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Swiss mathematician and theorist, Nicolaus I Bernoulli, born on this date in 1687.
- Born October 21, 1833, Swedish chemist and engineer, invented dynamite and founded the Nobel Prize Alfred Nobel.
- Canadian-American physician and microbiologist, Oswald Avery, born on this date in 1877.
- American mathematician and author, Martin Gardner was born 106 years ago today.
- Born October 21, 1921, Dutch astronomer and academic Ingrid van Houten-Groeneveld.
- Also turning 80 today is South African-English keyboard player and producer Manfred Mann.
- American physicist and astronaut, Ronald McNair was born 70 years ago today.
- American actress and screenwriter, Carrie Fisher, born on this date in 1956.
- Also born on that same date in 1957, German physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Wolfgang Ketterle.
- 21 – Daniel Ebdrup Jensen (D. Ebdrup)
- 21 – Justin Diehl (nulloperations)
- 22 – Zach – zml2008
- 22 – Cassandra Therrien (Canada)
- 25 – Mad Marv – spelled “K – Y – L – E” but pronounced “Marv”. Hope that helps
- 25 – HMNSHLD
- 25 – BritOnTour (Jason)
- 25 – Scott (Minneapolis)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 21, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Incredible Photo Shows a Rocket Pass in Front of The Moon. Here’s How It Was Captured
- Dogs don’t care about one part of the body as much as we thought
- 3M Young Scientist Challenge winner is Anika Chebrolu, who won for a coronavirus discovery – CNN
- “Holy Grail” Sought for More Than a Century: Researchers Synthesize Room Temperature Superconducting Material
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg: NOW I can review The Boys
- Chuck and Kreg: Star Trek Lower Decks – hear our full reaction to LD on TTiT
- Coming up – ST Discover just started. The Mandalorian Season 2 starts Oct 30
Question of the week:
- If you were an assassin, what would your trademark be that tells people it was you who committed the crime?
Patreon Topic this week
- Why do people think 5G is harmful? And why do some people block LinkedIn connections?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five