Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for October 7, 2020
This is the 281st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 85 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 3761 BC, that The epoch reference date epoch (origin) of the modern Hebrew calendar.
- It was also this date in 1826 that The Granite Railway began operations as the first chartered railway in the U.S.
- The Helsinki Stock Exchange sees its first transaction on this date in 1912.
- It was on this date in 1919, that KLM, the flag carrier of the Netherlands, was founded. It is the oldest airline still operating under its original name.
- It was also this date in 1933 that Air France was inaugurated, after being formed by a merger of five French airlines.
- That same date in 1958, The U.S. manned space-flight project was renamed Project Mercury.
- It was also this date in 1959 that The Soviet probe Luna 3 transmits the first-ever photographs of the far side of the Moon.
- Also today in 1963, President Kennedy signed the ratification of the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.
- On October 7, 1996, Fox News Channel began broadcasting.
- October 7, 2002, The Space Shuttle Atlantis launches on STS-112 to continue assembly of the International Space Station.
- 12 years ago today, Asteroid 2008 TC3 impacted the Earth over Sudan, the first time an asteroid impact was detected prior to its entry into earth’s atmosphere.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Danish physicist and philosopher, Nobel Prize laureate, Niels Bohr, born on this date in 1885.
- American computer scientist and academic, Henriette Avram was born 101 years ago today.
- Canadian director and producer, co-founded the IMAX Corporation, Graeme Ferguson, born on this date in 1929.
- South African archbishop and activist, Nobel Prize laureate, Desmond Tutu is 89 today.
- English chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Harry Kroto, born on this date in 1939.
- Also born on that same date in 1939, American computer scientist and author, John Hopcroft.
- Also turning 75 today is Scottish physicist and academic David Wallace.
- American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and actor, John Mellencamp, born on this date in 1951.
- Also turning 68 today is Russian colonel and politician, 4th President of Russia Vladimir Putin.
- Also born on that same date in 1955, American computer scientist and author, Ralph Johnson.
- Also turning 65 today is French-American cellist and educator Yo-Yo Ma.
- Also born on that same date in 1959, English businessman and producer, Simon Cowell.
- Also turning 43 today is French comics writer and illustrator Antoine Revoy.
- 9 – Itsuko Rumpke (sounds like IT SUE-Koe)
- 9 – Mario (New Jersey)
- 10 – Victor Cajiao
- 10 – Garrett Riffal
- 11 – Bruce Barr
- 13 – Jason Schwanz
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 7, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link. chuckchat.com/birthday
- Rosetta spacecraft detects unexpected ultraviolet aurora at a comet
- Compact Nuclear Fusion Reactor Is ‘Very Likely to Work,’ Studies Suggest – The New York Times
- Physicists Have Successfully Connected Two Large Objects in Quantum Entanglement
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Challenger: The Final Flight (Netflix)
Question of the week:
- Given the level of Technology we have available today, what still impresses you?
Patreon Topic this week
- How do you handle Information overload?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five