Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Email from David Kloepmken
- What movie plot hole ruined the entire experience for you?
On This Day In History for August 5, 2020
This is the 218th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 148 days remaining in 2020
- It was on this date in 1583, that Sir Humphrey Gilbert established the first English colony in North America, at what is now St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.
- That same date in 1620, The Mayflower departs from Southampton, England, carrying would-be settlers, on its first attempt to reach North America; it is forced to dock in Dartmouth when its companion ship, the Speedwell, springs a leak..
- 204 years ago today, The British Admiralty dismisses Francis Ronalds’s new invention of the first working electric telegraph as “wholly unnecessary”, preferring to continue using the semaphore.
- Also on August 5, 1858, Cyrus West Field and others completed the first transatlantic telegraph cable after several unsuccessful attempts. It will operate for less than a month.
- 136 years ago today, The cornerstone for the Statue of Liberty is laid on Bedloe’s Island (now Liberty Island) in New York Harbor.
- On August 5, 1888, Bertha Benz drove from Mannheim to Pforzheim and back in the first long distance automobile trip, commemorated as the Bertha Benz Memorial Route since 2008.
- August 5, 1914, In Cleveland, Ohio, the first electric traffic light was installed.
- It was on this date in 1926, that Harry Houdini performed his greatest feat, spending 91 minutes underwater in a sealed tank before escaping.
- It was 63 years ago today, that American Bandstand, a show dedicated to the teenage “baby-boomers” by playing the songs and showing popular dances of the time, debuted on the ABC television network.
- 58 years ago today, Nelson Mandela was jailed. He would not be released until 1990.
- That same date in 1973, Mars 6 was launched from the USSR.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Norwegian mathematician and theorist, Niels Henrik Abel, born on this date in 1802.
- Joseph Merrick, English man with severe deformities was born on that same date in 1862.
- Carl Harries, the German chemist and academic was born 154 years ago today.
- Born August 5, 1872, Brazilian physician, bacteriologist, and epidemiologist, founded the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation Oswaldo Cruz.
- American actor, director, and screenwriter, John Huston was born 114 years ago today.
- American pilot, engineer, and astronaut, Neil Armstrong, born on this date in 1930.
- Also turning 86 today is Swedish engineer and theorist Karl Johan Åström.
- Brian G. Marsden, English-American astronomer and academic was born on that same date in 1937.
- American actress, Loni Anderson is 75 today.
- African-American physicist, Shirley Ann Jackson, born on this date in 1946.
- Also born on that same date in 1947, American astrophysicist and academic, France A. Córdova.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 5, 2020
Listener birthdays (Aug 5-11)
- 6 – Julie Tomasi
- 8 – Philippa Ballantine
- 9 – Matt Coe (WoWaddict) 
- 9 – Julia Posz – (Technorama Promo)
- 10 – Sam Martin
- 11 – Steve Wozniak
- 11 – David Brewer (Tyrion The Imp)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- AI-Generated Text Is the Scariest Deepfake of All | WIRED
- SpaceX: Starlink ‘extraordinary demand’ with nearly 700,000 interested
- NASA’s Perseverance Rover Is Carrying First Spacesuit Materials to Mars – Here’s Why
Hacks & Strange Stories
- VK-01 Is A Bartender You Don’t Need To Tip | Hackaday
- Guy with one hand builds mechanical prosthetic hand for himself – Geekologie
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Question of the week:
- What should be humanity’s goal?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five