Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for August 12, 2020
This is the 225th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 141 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1492, that Christopher Columbus arrives in the Canary Islands on his first voyage to the New World.
- Also today in 1851, Isaac Singer is granted a patent for his sewing machine..
- 155 years ago today, Joseph Lister, British surgeon and scientist, performed 1st antiseptic surgery.
- Also on August 12, 1953, the Soviet atomic bomb project continued with the detonation of “RDS-6s” (Joe 4), the first Soviet thermonuclear bomb – the first testing of a real thermonuclear weapon (not test devices).
- 60 years ago today, Echo 1A, NASA’s first successful communications satellite, was launched..
- On August 12, 1977, The first free flight of the Space Shuttle Enterprise.
- Also today in 1981, The IBM Personal Computer was released.
- It was also this date in 1990 that Sue, the largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton found to date, was discovered by Sue Hendrickson in South Dakota.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Jewish astronomer, astrologer, mathematician, rabbi and historian, Abraham Zacuto, born on this date in 1452.
- Born August 12, 1856, American businessman and philanthropist Diamond Jim Brady.
- Cecil B. DeMille, American director and producer was born on that same date in 1881.
- Jean Cabannes, the French physicist and academic was born 135 years ago today.
- Austrian physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Erwin Schrödinger, born on this date in 1887.
- Joe Besser, American actor was born on that same date in 1907.
- English-American astrophysicist and academic, Margaret Burbidge, born on this date in 1919.
- Scottish publisher and activist co-founded the Guinness World Records, Norris McWhirter was born 95 years ago today.
- American computer scientist and academic, Dorothy E. Denning, born on this date in 1945.
- Also born on that same date in 1949, Scottish-English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer, Mark Knopfler.
- American actor, director, and screenwriter, Jim Beaver, born on this date in 1950.
Listener Birthdays (Aug 12-18)
- 13 – Christine Fiore MegaPodTastic and Honey, You’ve *GOT* to See This!
- 17 – Clive Jevons, Baeumenheim German, Kevin (SusietheGeek’s son and Geek in Training)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 12, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Three men rescued from tiny island after writing ‘SOS’ in the sand – Geekologie
- Stunning Image Gallery Documents Thrilling SpaceX Splashdown – First Splashdown of American Astronauts in 45 Years
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Apollo 11 brought a message of peace to the Moon – but Neil and Buzz almost forgot to leave it behind
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
- View 250,000 British Paintings & Sculptures Free Online | Open Culture
- German Hacker Turns Sausages Into a Working Piano
- Software Can Recreate 3D Spaces From Random Internet Photos
Question of the week:
- What movie has made you laugh the hardest?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five