Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for July 22, 2020
This is the 204th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 162 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1598, that William Shakespeare’s play, The Merchant of Venice, is entered on the Stationers’ Register. By decree of Queen Elizabeth, the Stationers’ Register licensed printed works, giving the Crown tight control over all published material.
- It was also this date in 1793 that Alexander Mackenzie reached the Pacific Ocean becoming the first recorded human to complete a transcontinental crossing of North America.
- It was on this date in 1933, that Aviator Wiley Post returns to Floyd Bennett Field in New York City, completing the first solo flight around the world in seven days, 18 hours and 49 minutes.
- It was 58 years ago today, that the Mariner 1 spacecraft flew erratically several minutes after launch and had to be destroyed.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German-Russian physicist and academic, Georg Wilhelm Richmann, born on this date in 1711.
- French mathematician and engineer, Gaspard de Prony was born 265 years ago today.
- Friedrich Bessel, German mathematician and astronomer was born on that same date in 1784.
- German physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Gustav Ludwig Hertz, born on this date in 1887.
- American mathematician, Geraldine Claudette Darden is 84 today.
- Also turning 80 today is Canadian-American game show host and producer Alex Trebek.
- Also born on that same date in 1941, American singer-songwriter and producer, George Clinton.
- Also turning 77 today is American singer-songwriter and actor Bobby Sherman.
- English singer-songwriter and keyboard player, Rick Davies is 76 today.
- Also turning 74 today is American actor, director, and producer Danny Glover.
- American singer-songwriter and drummer, Don Henley, born on this date in 1947.
- Also turning 65 today is American actor Willem Dafoe.
- American singer-songwriter and producer, Keith Sweat is 59 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1964, American actor, producer, and screenwriter, David Spade.
- Also turning 48 today is Canadian actor, director, and producer Colin Ferguson.
- Also born on that same date in 1992, American singer and actress, Selena Gomez.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 22, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Scientists unlocked the secret of how these ultrablack fish absorb light | Ars Technica
- Solar Orbiter returns first data, snaps closest pictures of the Sun
- Man Collects $95 Million Jackpot Dressed as Darth Vader to Hide Identity
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Tales from the Loop (Amazon Prime)
- AI helps drone swarms navigate through crowded, unfamiliar spaces | Engadget
- Meet White Castle’s New Robot Chef, Flippy | PCMag
Question of the week:
- What movie plothole ruined the entire experience for you?
Patreon Topic this week
- How did we get into coding?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five