Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for July 15, 2020
This is the 197th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 169 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1741, that Aleksei Chirikov sighted land in Southeast Alaska. He sends men ashore in a longboat, making them the first Europeans to visit Alaska.
- Also today in 1799, The Rosetta Stone was found in the Egyptian village of Rosetta by French Captain Pierre-François Bouchard during Napoleon’s Egyptian Campaign.
- July 15, 1806, United States Army Lieutenant Zebulon Pike begins an expedition from Fort Bellefontaine near St. Louis, Missouri, to explore the west.
- Also today in 1910, In his book Clinical Psychiatry, Emil Kraepelin gives a name to Alzheimer’s disease, naming it after his colleague Alois Alzheimer.
- It was on this date in 1916, that In Seattle, Washington, William Boeing and George Conrad Westervelt incorporated Pacific Aero Products (later renamed Boeing).
- 66 years ago today, First flight of the Boeing 367 -80, prototype for both the Boeing 707 and C-135 series.
- It was 65 years ago that Eighteen Nobel laureates signed the Mainau Declaration against nuclear weapons, later co-signed by thirty-four others.
- That same date in 1975, the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project featured the dual launch of an Apollo spacecraft and a Soyuz spacecraft on the first joint Soviet-United States human-crewed flight. It was both the last launch of an Apollo spacecraft, and the Saturn family of rockets.
- July 15, 2003, AOL Time Warner disbands Netscape. The Mozilla Foundation is established on the same day.
- It was also this date in 2006 that Twitter, later one of the largest social media platforms in the world, was launched.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Austrian-German mathematician and theorist, Wilhelm Wirtinger, born on this date in 1865.
- Jean-Baptiste Charcot, the French physician and explorer was born 153 years ago today.
- Born July 15, 1906, English-German engineer Rudolf Uhlenhaut.
- Robert Bruce Merrifield, the American biochemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born 99 years ago today.
- American physicist and mathematician, Nobel Prize laureate, Leon M. Lederman, born on this date in 1922.
- Also turning 90 today is American mathematician and computer scientist Stephen Smale.
- Also born on that same date in 1950, Greek-American journalist and publisher (The Huffington Post), Arianna Huffington.
- Indian theoretical physicist and string theorist, Ashoke Sen, born on this date in 1956.
Listener Birthdays (July 15-21)
- 18 – Lord Doomicus
- 18 – Nikolai from Dancing With Elephants
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 15, 2020
- Vintage ‘Super Mario Bros.’ Video Game Sells for $114,000 | Hollywood Reporter
- How to See a Comet That Won’t Be Visible for 6,000 Years
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Creator made mini version of IBM’s iconic 1401 computer – Business Insider
- When Hollywood finally noticed the web: What it got right and oh so wrong – CNET
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Kreg – Hamilton (musical) on Disney+
Question of the week:
- What is your favorite “movie car” (TV cars welcome also)?
Patreon Topic this week
- What Software tools do we use?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five