Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- If you could hang with any fictional/non-fictional character through your quarantine, who would it be and why?
On This Day In History for July 8, 2020
This is the 190th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 176 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1497, that Vasco da Gama set sail on the first direct European voyage to India.
- July 8, 1853, The Perry Expedition arrived in Edo Bay with a treaty requesting trade.
- 141 years ago today, Sailing ship USS Jeannette departed San Francisco carrying an ill-fated expedition to the North Pole.
- It was on this date in 1889, that The first issue of The Wall Street Journal was published.
- Also today in 1932, The Dow Jones Industrial Average reached its lowest level of the Great Depression, closing at 41.22.
- 73 years ago today, Reports were broadcast that a UFO crash landed in Roswell, New Mexico in what became known as the Roswell UFO incident.
- On July 8, 1948, The United States Air Force accepted its first female recruits into a program called Women in the Air Force (WAF).
- July 8, 1960, Francis Gary Powers is charged with espionage resulting from his flight over the Soviet Union.
- Also on July 8, 2011, Space Shuttle Atlantis was launched in the final mission of the U.S. Space Shuttle program.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician and academic, Christian Kramp, born on this date in 1760.
- Francis Leopold McClintock, the Irish admiral and explorer was born 201 years ago today.
- Born July 8, 1830, American lawyer and politician, 6th United States Assistant Secretary of State Frederick W. Seward.
- American chemist and pharmacist, inventor of Coca-Cola, John Pemberton was born 189 years ago today.
- German general and businessman, founded the Zeppelin Airship Company, Ferdinand von Zeppelin, born on this date in 1838.
- American soldier, chemist, and businessman, founded Eli Lilly and Company, Eli Lilly was born 182 years ago today.
- John D. Rockefeller, the American businessman and philanthropist, founded the Standard Oil Company was born 181 years ago today.
- Russian physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Pyotr Kapitsa, born on this date in 1894.
- Igor Tamm, Russian physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1895.
- Born July 8, 1904, French mathematician and academic Henri Cartan.
- Russian engineer and astronaut, Vitaly Sevastyanov was born 85 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1949, Austrian-American chef, restaurateur and entrepreneur, Wolfgang Puck.
- American actor and musician, Kevin Bacon, born on this date in 1958.
Listener Birthdays (July 8-14)
- 8 – Trampas Whiteman (aka Dragonhelm)
- 8 – Mark Lee (aka geekdad72) Stardate -351519.09
- 8 – Alan Ralph (a.k.a. MonTemplar)
- 8 – Kim Eaddy – Kreg’s Wife
- 10 – KHD a.k.a. The Devin
- 11 – Steven Truax (rednecktech)
- 12 – Shadowbird712 of Shadowbird Studios (http://shadowbirdsrandomcrap.blogspot.com/) (Sorry for the cheap plug, y’all)
- 12 – François Pominville nickname: Bookaroo (Year: 11110110001, Canada)
- 13 – Ben Ragunton of TGGeeks
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 8, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- NASA Names Headquarters After ‘Hidden Figure’ Mary W. Jackson | NASA
- This Scientist Says He’s Built a Jet Engine That Turns Electricity Directly Into Thrust
- Costly click: Man accidentally buys 28 Tesla cars online worth 1.4 million euros
- ‘We’ve bought the wrong satellites’: UK tech gamble baffles experts | Politics | The Guardian
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- Chuck: Tales from the Loop (Amazon Prime) 7.5/10
- New Stargate Project Gets A 1-Word Update – YouTube – From Stewe from Sweden
- Scientists finally solve the mystery behind a 100-year-old chemistry experiment | Live Science
- Nuclear ‘Power Balls’ May Make Meltdowns a Thing of the Past | WIRED
Question of the week:
- Which fictional world would you live in?
Patreon Topic this week
- Geek Fatigue
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five