Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for June 24, 2020
This is the 176th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 190 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 109, that Roman emperor Trajan inaugurated the Aqua Traiana, an aqueduct that channels water from Lake Bracciano, 40 kilometres (25 miles) northwest of Rome.
- June 24, 1374, A sudden outbreak of St. John’s Dance causes people in the streets of Aachen, Germany, to experience hallucinations and begin to jump and twitch uncontrollably until they collapse from exhaustion.
- Also today in 1497, John Cabot lands in North America at Newfoundland leading the first European exploration of the region since the Vikings.
- June 24, 1604, Samuel de Champlain discovers the mouth of the Saint John River, site of Reversing Falls and the present-day city of Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.
- That same date in 1717, The Premier Grand Lodge of England is founded in London, the first Masonic Grand Lodge in the world (now the United Grand Lodge of England).
- Also today in 1916, Mary Pickford became the first female film star to sign a million-dollar contract.
- It was on this date in 1918, that First airmail service in Canada from Montreal to Toronto.
- It was 82 years ago today, that Pieces of a meteorite landed near Chicora, Pennsylvania. The meteorite is estimated to have weighed 450 metric tons when it hit the Earth’s atmosphere and exploded.
- It was on this date in 1947, that Kenneth Arnold makes the first widely reported UFO sighting near Mount Rainier, Washington.
- On June 24, 1949, The first television western, Hopalong Cassidy, starring William Boyd, aired on NBC.
- That same date in 1981, The Humber Bridge opened to traffic, connecting Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. It remained the world’s longest bridge span for 17 years.
- On June 24, 2012, Death of Lonesome George, the last known individual of Chelonoidis nigra abingdonii, a subspecies of the Galápagos tortoise.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French chemist and businessman, founded DuPont, Éleuthère Irénée du Pont, born on this date in 1771.
- American inventor, Thomas Blanchard was born 232 years ago today.
- Born June 24, 1852, German bacteriologist and academic Friedrich Loeffler.
- American mathematician and academic (g. 1960), Oswald Veblen is 140 today.
- Victor Francis Hess, the Austrian-American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born 137 years ago today.
- American businessman, co-founded The Walt Disney Company, Roy O. Disney was born 127 years ago today.
- Wilhelm Cauer, German mathematician and engineer was born on that same date in 1900.
- William Penney, the Baron Penney, English mathematician and physicist was born 111 years ago today.
- Argentinian physicist and academic, Ernesto Sabato, born on this date in 1911.
- Fred Hoyle, English astronomer and author was born on that same date in 1915.
- Born June 24, 1917, English cryptanalyst and numismatist Joan Clarke.
- Al Molinaro, the American actor was born 101 years ago today.
- Born June 24, 1924, Scottish astronomer and academic Archie Roy.
- Martin Lewis Perl, the American physicist and engineer, Nobel Prize laureate was born 93 years ago today.
- Also turning 91 today is American astronomer Carolyn S. Shoemaker.
- English-American drummer, Mick Fleetwood, born on this date in 1942.
- American colonel, engineer, and astronaut, Ellison Onizuka was born 74 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1947, American actor and director, Peter Weller.
- Also turning 67 today is American chemist and physicist, Nobel Prize laureate William E. Moerner.
Listener Birthdays (June 24-30)
- 25 – Mark Sheppard (Wichita, Kansas) Born 1957
- 25 – Jim Guckin from Philadelphia, Pa
- 26 – Patrick Norton
- 26 – Daughter of Will The Computer Guy
- 27 – Jordan Burkhead, daughter of Chip Burkhead from The Scotchcast
- 29 – Martin McKeay (Accch, this is the Big 40!)
- 30 – Alexis Duran (ADdude)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 24, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Astronomers find the first known regular pattern of fast radio bursts | Engadget
- SpaceX Starship: stunning image shows how it may deploy 240 Starlink craft
- NASA confident Mars 2020 will launch on schedule – SpaceNews.com
- There Are At Least 36 Intelligent Alien Civilizations In Our Galaxy, Say Scientists
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
|Steve Therrien||Spiffy||Steve Cody||Stewe Lundin|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Pass me the remote
- The Show Must Go On – Kreg
Question of the week:
- If you could hang with any fictional/non-fictional character through your quarantine who would that be and why?
Patreon Topic this week
- Podcast Promos
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five