Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for June 3, 2020
This is the 155th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 211 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1539, that Hernando de Soto claims Florida for Spain.
- Samuel de Champlain completed his third voyage to New France at Tadoussac, Quebec on this date in 1608.
- 131 years ago today, The first long-distance electric power transmission line in the United States is completed, running 14 miles (23 km) between a generator at Willamette Falls and downtown Portland, Oregon.
- The launch of Gemini 4, the first multi-day space mission by a NASA crew. Ed White, a crew member, performs the first American spacewalk on this date in 1965.
- Also on June 3, 2012, The pageant for the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II takes place on the River Thames.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Scottish-English mathematician and astronomer, David Gregory, born on this date in 1659.
- Born June 3, 1723, Italian physician, geologist, and botanist Giovanni Antonio Scopoli.
- Jefferson Davis, American colonel and politician, President of the Confederate States of America was born on that same date in 1808.
- Ransom E. Olds, the American businessman, founded Oldsmobile and REO Motor Car Company was born 156 years ago today.
- American astronomer and academic, Adelaide Ames, born on this date in 1900.
- Born June 3, 1906, English economist, mathematician, and statistician R. G. D. Allen.
- Igor Shafarevich, Russian mathematician and theorist was born on that same date in 1923.
- Born June 3, 1925, American actor Tony Curtis.
- Swiss microbiologist and geneticist, Nobel Prize laureate, Werner Arber, born on this date in 1929.
- American game show host and producer, Chuck Barris was born 91 years ago today.
- Joe Coulombe, founder of Trader Joe’s was born on that same date in 1930.
- Also born on that same date in 1947, American special effects artist and producer, John Dykstra.
- American businessman, Larry Probst is 70 today.
- Also turning 66 today is American mathematician and engineer Susan Landau.
Listener Birthdays (June 3-9)
- 4 – Leo Schrauwen – history and pictures from Ekeren (Antwerp, Belgium) in Dutch
- 4 – Tara Parkman (daughter of Richard Parkman)
- 6 – Adam Larson (UncleAdam)
- 6 – Grandma Grace (1921)
- 8 – Bobby Irvin
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 3, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- Flat Earthers Spend $20,000 Trying To Prove Earth Is Flat, Accidentally Prove It’s Round | Triple M
- Scientists Confirm There Really Is An Earth-Like Planet Orbiting The Nearest Star To The Sun | IFLScience
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- The Strange Story of the Popeye’s Restaurant in Supergirl | CBR
- How Bill Gates described the internet ‘tidal wave’ in 1995
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
New info from Patreon: Sales tax is coming July 1 for US peeps. You may have already gotten the mail.
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Patreon Topic this week
- What’s up with MacOS lately?
Pass me the remote
- Chuck – Carnivále
Question of the week
- Which fictional characters would you pick to help you in a fight?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five