Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Jorge sent us this which we talked about a long time ago
On This Day In History for May 20, 2020
This is the 141st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 225 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1570, that Cartographer Abraham Ortelius issued Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, the first modern atlas.
- Also on May 20, 1609, Shakespeare’s sonnets were first published in London, perhaps illicitly, by the publisher Thomas Thorpe..
- 158 years ago today, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln signed the Homestead Act into law, opening 84 million acres of public land to settlers..
- Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis receive a U.S. patent for blue jeans with copper rivets. on this date in 1873.
- That same date in 1875, Signing of the Metre Convention by 17 nations leading to the establishment of the International System of Units.
- On May 20, 1883, Krakatoa began to erupt; the volcano exploded three months later, killing more than 36,000 people.
- Also today in 1891, The first public display of Thomas Edison’s prototype kinetoscope.
- May 20, 1932, Amelia Earhart takes off from Newfoundland to begin the world’s first solo nonstop flight across the Atlantic Ocean by a female pilot, landing in Ireland the next day.
- 56 years ago today, Discovery of the cosmic microwave background radiation by Robert Woodrow Wilson and Arno Penzias.
- Also today in 1983, First publications of the discovery of the HIV virus that causes AIDS in the journal Science by Luc Montagnier.
- That same date in 2019, The International System of Units redefined the base units, making the international prototype of the kilogram obsolete.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American businessman and politician, co-founded Wells Fargo and American Express, William Fargo, born on this date in 1818.
- Born May 20, 1851, German-American inventor, invented the Gramophone record Emile Berliner.
- German chemist, zymologist, and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Eduard Buchner, born on this date in 1860.
- Born May 20, 1879, German chemist Hans Meerwein.
- English engineer, designed the Supermarine Spitfire and Supermarine S.6B, R. J. Mitchell, born on this date in 1895.
- James Stewart, the American actor was born 112 years ago today.
- Born May 20, 1925, Russian engineer, designed the Tupolev Tu-144 Alexei Tupolev.
- Joe Cocker, English singer-songwriter was born on that same date in 1944.
- Also born on that same date in 1946, American singer-songwriter, producer, and actress, Cher.
- Also turning 71 today is Canadian actor, director, producer, and screenwriter Dave Thomas.
- American colonel, engineer, and astronaut, Thomas Akers is 69 today.
Listener Birthdays (May 20-26)
- 22 – Tim Elliott
- 23 – Kris Ziel Host and producer of The AVScast and 24 Under Review
- 26 – Eli Yukelzon
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 20, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- A Japanese spacecraft sent back images of the rocky asteroid ‘Ryugu’ — and they’re stunning
- Supercomputers hacked across Europe to mine cryptocurrency | ZDNet
- Facebook Building Africa Earth-Sized Internet Cable | HYPEBEAST
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Hand me the remote
- Kreg – Silicon Valley
- Weber Baker sent us this:
- CLASSICAL SOPRANO surprises audience with STAR TREK | Conductor Rainer Hersch – YouTube
Question of the week
- What’s one question you hate being asked? (This one doesn’t count)
Patreon Topic this week
- What is the legacy you are leaving behind?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five