Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Question: What is the Podcast that you have been subscribed to the longest? (No, the answer doesn’t have to be us)
- Episode 600 Post
- Amy Bowen VM
- Mike Wills VM
On This Day In History for May 13, 2020
This is the 134th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 232 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1787, that Captain Arthur Phillip left Portsmouth, England, with eleven ships full of convicts (the “First Fleet”) to establish a penal colony in Australia.
- It was 159 years ago today, that The Great Comet of 1861 was discovered by John Tebbutt of Windsor, New South Wales, Australia.
- It was also this date in 1880 that In Menlo Park, New Jersey, Thomas Edison performed the first test of his electric railway.
- On May 13, 1958, Ben Carlin became the first (and only) person to circumnavigate the world by amphibious vehicle, having travelled over 17,000 kilometres (11,000 mi) by sea and 62,000 kilometres (39,000 mi) by land during a ten-year journey.
- It was on this date in 1995, that Alison Hargreaves, a 33 -year-old British mother, became the first woman to conquer Everest without oxygen or the help of sherpas.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician, astronomer, and geophysicist, Alexis Clairaut, born on this date in 1713.
- Born May 13, 1857, Indian-English physician and mathematician, Nobel Prize laureate Ronald Ross.
- Inge Lehmann, Danish seismologist and geophysicist was born on that same date in 1888.
- Spanish mathematician, academic, and astronomer, Antonia Ferrín Moreiras was born 106 years ago today.
- Born May 13, 1922, American actress and singer Bea Arthur.
- Trevor Baylis, the English inventor, invented the wind-up radio was born 83 years ago today.
- Ritchie Valens, American singer-songwriter and guitarist was born on that same date in 1941.
- American singer-songwriter, pianist, and producer, Stevie Wonder is 70 today.
- American electrical engineer, Ruth A. David, born on this date in 1953.
- American comedian and talk show host, Stephen Colbert is 56 today.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 13, 2020
Listener Birthdays (May 13-22)
- 14 – JPCJ
- 22 – Tim Elliott
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- How the Ballpoint Pen Changed Handwriting – The Atlantic
- We Might Have Just Found the Next Great Lighting Material
- Photographer takes ‘clearest ever’ photo of moon by combining phases into one image
- To make an atom-sized machine, you need a quantum mechanic – India Gone Viral
- Exclusive: Trump administration drafting ‘Artemis Accords’ pact for moon mining – sources – Reuters
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Question of the week:
- What movie sounds bad when you explain the plot but is actually really good?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five