Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- What movie could have been much shorter if the main characters just used a little common sense? (no fair saying ‘all of them’)
On This Day In History for May 6, 2020
This is the 127th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 239 days remaining in 2020.
- It was on this date in 1835, that James Gordon Bennett, Sr. published the first issue of the New York Herald.
- 131 years ago today, The Eiffel Tower was officially opened to the public at the Universal Exposition in Paris.
- The German zeppelin Hindenburg catches fire and is destroyed within a minute while attempting to dock at Lakehurst, New Jersey. Thirty-six people were killed on this date in 1937.
- That same date in 1940, John Steinbeck was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his novel The Grapes of Wrath.
- Also today in 1941, The first flight of the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt.
- That same date in 1941, At California’s March Field, Bob Hope performed his first USO show.
- Also on May 6, 1949, EDSAC, the first practical electronic digital stored-program computer, ran its first operation..
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician and academic, Jean Nicolas Pierre Hachette, born on this date in 1769.
- German engineer and author, Max Eyth was born 184 years ago today.
- Born May 6, 1848, English chemist and academic Henry Edward Armstrong.
- Austrian neurologist and psychoanalyst, Sigmund Freud, born on this date in 1856.
- Born May 6, 1872, Dutch mathematician, physicist, and astronomer Willem de Sitter.
- Júlio César de Mello e Souza, the Brazilian mathematician and author was born 125 years ago today.
- Born May 6, 1896, Swedish physicist and academic Rolf Maximilian Sievert.
- French mathematician and academic, André Weil, born on this date in 1906.
- Born May 6, 1915, American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter Orson Welles.
- American physicist and astronomer, Robert H. Dicke was born 104 years ago today.
- American singer-songwriter and guitarist, Bob Seger, born on this date in 1945.
- Also born on that same date in 1961, American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter, George Clooney.
Listener Birthdays May 6-12
- 6 – Amber Pace (not really a listener, but a mother and a wife of listeners)
- 6 – Bill Barbour
- 6 – Steve Bickle
- 8 – Curtis Parish
- 12 – Amanda Huggenkiss
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 6, 2020
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our website and look for the Birthday Calendar link.
- This star survived a close call with a black hole. Eventually, it will become a planet – CNN
- SpaceX to test Starlink “sun visor” to reduce brightness – SpaceNews.com
- Zoom on the farm: How to meet goats over the internet | WOODTV.com
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Watch us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Alexis Duran||Amber Elstad||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman|
|Ben Vaughan||Brian Brown||Chris Mc||DanDMan Coyer|
|Danny Mortensen||Dean Jensen||Denise Inglis||Gary Lindros|
|Harold McInstry||John Clifford||John Noble||Jorge Schrauwen|
|Kristina||Kyle Nishioka||Leon||Mark Kilfoil|
|Mike Wills||NightGig Studios||Saturday Morning Media||Stephen Wesche|
If you want to become a patron, visit our Patreon Page. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast
Hand me the remote
- Code 8 – A super-powered construction worker falls in with a group of criminals in order to raise the funds to help his ill mother. Chuck: 6.5/10
Question of the week:
- What is the Podcast that you have been subscribed to the longest? (No, the answer doesn’t have to be us)
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five